Hand reworking SMT mictors?

Hi, This might be a bit out of place in a design group, so apologies in advance. This just seems the best place to ask a practical question.

I'd like to replace Samtec QTE connectors manually on a populated board.

The specifics are not important. The general problem is that there is a long ground pin under the part which needs a solid connection. None of the rework places want to touch this because I'd need at least a custom stencil for this. The ground lead must be soldered properly.

I tried approaching solid solder deposit people but they won't touch a populated board. I tried the polyimide microstencil folks but the thickness of the stencil means the connector won't seat properly. I tried convincing the rework people to pop the ground lead out a bit with a small screwdriver and solder the pin by hand then mash the connector housing back together later. But "pop" and "mash" are not accepted terms in this industry, it seems.

I will write-off the boards if I can't replace the connectors but maybe someone out here has a great idea??

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

Heat the board gently with a paint stripper (aka heat gun) to remove the connector, clean the pads using desoldering braid. Apply some solder to the centre pad (not too much) and some solder flux and re-heat the board using the paint stripper. Just be carefull not to over heat (burn) the board. After this, the pins of the connector can be soldered. I've used this procedure before on devices which hidden pads.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Thanks but I'm afraid the connector will start to melt! I've tried something like that before but this time it's for work not hobby so I don't want to do it myself, I'd rather give it to a professional.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

You have to destroy the old connector, in order to save the board. usually, it's one or the other.

Do this with the right tool, a SMT rework station. You have to direct the hot air under the connector.

The connector might turn a little brown, but it won't melt. I can try if you send me the board and new connectors.

Reply to
linnix

The place where I work had some of those added by hand (not removed, but I'm sure hot air and a willingness to throw away the old will solve that). As I recall the secret was that the connector could be disassembled and the center part soldered first. Then you could build the rest of the connector onto it and do the signal pins.

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/
Reply to
Ben Jackson

I doubt the connector will melt. It has already been through an oven!