can this be hand soldered?

Hi - I'm taking a look at using a citizen CS5032H18.432MEEQTR in an upcoming prototype board. (package drawing on middle right, fig. 2:

Can this be soldered by hand with a fine iron? Or do you have to use something like hot air for a part like this? Thanks

-M. Noone

Reply to
Michael J. Noone

Yes, with a good quality PCB board, thin solder, extra non-corrosive flux, etc.

Making the PCB lands extend further beyond the corners of the package may make it easier.

Also having maginifier to work under may make your eyes more happy.

Reply to
cs_posting

Yeah. You need to lay out the pads so that you can put the tip on them even when the part is already there. Tin one corner, tack that corner down, then for the other three pads heat them up and flow some solder on.

Dimension-wise, this is not a particularly difficult part. TO-92's have finer pitch for example. Heck, you could do this with a mongo

140W soldering gun if you wanted :-).

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

Seriously, I wouldn't even consider this to be even slightly difficult!. I have hand soldered parts down to a 0.25mm lead pitch. With a really fine temperature controlled iron, and a bench magnifier, this is easy, _provided_ you ensure that the pad extends enough beyond the pad area, that you can establish a good thermal contact to the pad. With a fine solder, or a little solder paste, doing a limited number of prototype parts should be no problem.

Best Wishes

Reply to
Roger Hamlett

I can't make out if the package has an all- metal capsule over the lot, or if the sides are plastic/ ceramic with the leads as little tags on them.

With the second sort, it's very easy, just solder them on. If the leads aren't accessible from the sides, it's a bit harder, but it can be done. Plenty of flux, for starters, and make sure the PCB pads come out a bit at the sides. Solder one pad, place the device, and melt the solder so that it sits down. Pick the board up by the device so you're sure it's stuck. Then solder the others, making sure that the solder capillaries under the package and gets to the pins.

You soon get the hang of it.

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

I went looking for the original

Look closely and you'll notice the pad contacts extend up the side of the package (quite common for these parts) so extend the pads a little and hand soldering should be a snap.

Watch out for the can - in my experience, they are usually grounded.

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

On 8 Nov 2005 07:53:18 -0800, "Michael J. Noone" wroth:

It can almost certainly be soldered by hand if the PC board pads are suitably configured. I've done it successfully.

One thing to keep in mind though, ia that it's a somewhat fragile quartz crystal inside of a ceramic package. If the package is heated, it will expand with the heat. If the heat is applied to one spot for too long, the package will expand at that spot more rapidly than elsewhere. That will create some strain and stress on the package and possibly on the crystal inside. If the strain becomes too great, the crystal, or the connections to it, may fracture.

If the heat is applied to the whole package evenly, as it would if the soldering were done with hot air or hot vapor or an infrared oven, then the whole package and the crystal inside would expand evenly resulting in less stress or strain.

To be entirely safe, hot air would be a better method than soldering the pads one by one by hand.

If you do do it by hand, use lots of extra flux and do it as quickly as possible.

Jim

Reply to
jmeyer