Hey, way cool.

WHAT BRAND?

--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Wescott

We have a gadget here that's a network file server, about as big as a pack of cards. Has one Ethernet port and two USB ports for hard drives.

Soon you'll be able to buy a network file server, with a hard drive inside, for something like $80. Somebody has a single-chip Ethernet/IDE bridge chip.

Die, Windows Server, Die!

John

Replaced a wired router after it had gone flaky. The new one has some kind of built-in TDR cable diagnostics. From my remote access point in my office I can see that three of the four ports are connected properly and there is an open at 7/8 meters on the Tx/Rx pair respectively. There's an unterminated 25' cable plugged into that port. Not too shabby for about $35 US with rebate.

Also they've upgraded the processor to an ARM9 from ARM7.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

ftp://ftp10.dlink.com/pdfs/products/DI-604/DI-604_fab.pdf

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I have the SMC Barricade as well. Love it! And the print server.

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Awhile back I bought a bunch of those "BAFO" boxes that hold a drive and provide a USB interface.

Old drives go into a box and go on the shelf.

Today, as a matter of fact, I drug out a 5-year-old drive to look up an old project.

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

This one is apparently not Linux-based, rather ThreadX OS based. It's got 1M of Flash and 8M of SDRAM as well as the 133MHz ARM9. All on a cheap 2-layer PCB a few inches square:

Compared to the previous version they've shaved a crystal off and replaced two linear regulators with a switching regulator. They also replaced the dim light pipe LED assembly with the right-angle mounted LEDs. The thing runs off a tiny wall-plug 5.0V 2A switching supply (but I measured only about 500mA @5V consumption). 10W would make that little box pretty hot.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

"John Larkin" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

If that is the Linksys, there are even patched OS's for it, to do other things with the ports!. It is basically a 'micro' cut down Linux server. Impressive for the price.

Best Wishes

Reply to
Roger Hamlett

Hello John,

When I bought the SMC Barricade for the office they also had a version with a hard drive for exactly that purpose. It wasn't much more expensive than the plain vanilla router IIRC. This vanilla version even contains a little print server in case a printer doesn't have a LAN port. I didn't know that and when it arrived I wondered what that parallel port in the back was doing there.

Mine doesn't have TDR :-(

But, when a cable is suspicious I can always resonate it out.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hello Jim,

It is the sturdiest piece of equipment in the office. Except for the stuff I built myself, of course < boast mode off >.

Maybe I should have gotten the one with a built-in HD. The backup HD you can buy at the stores are nowadays all USB and that just isn't practical in a network.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hello John,

Curious: What is it? Where'd you get it? What's it cost?

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hello Jim,

I have seen those but it's been a while. But they still can't be plugged into a LAN jack and be accessed from all the other PCs.

I have my biz stuff backed up since day one and stored off site. Heck, there are even some documents that were written on IBM EasyWriter (remember that one?). Ok, now everybody knows that I am not a kid anymore.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

And what file system does it use ?

I've seem something along those lines but with internal IDE drives that provides simple network storage but it only currently supports XP IIRC.

And no I can't remember offhand who does it now ( it was one of the usual suspects though ) but the XP only thing put me off pursuing the matter.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Hello Graham,

That would not be a true network storage system. A real system needs to accept files from any source that can talk to the LAN. Otherwise you could forget sending output data of lab gear to it.

That would put me off as well. No MS-centric stuff in this location.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

"The Real Andy" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Maybe. Today you don't seem to understand the drawbacks of their monopoly.

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

One day you might understand the commercial benifits of using microsoft.

Reply to
The Real Andy

Hello Andy,

We do use a few MS product where it makes sense. But only products that are mature enough to have the least amount of bugs. Some never seem to mature. For example, MS-Word crashes regularly and has never reached the quality level of their DOS-Word. Maybe it never will.

Mostly you have alternatives. Word may be the next in line to be dumped here. With their spreadsheet and database I can't complain though.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Joerg, What version of Windows are you using?

I've been on Win2K for at least three years now and, except for some initial hardware driver issues, I've been trouble free. (Now running Win2K/SP4.)

The only reboots have been those required by new software installations... like 55 days since last reboot ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

The last three PC's I've purchased were delivered without OS and I did the installing.

So far (knock on wood) I haven't had any hardware I couldn't get drivers for. In fact the "box" hardware came with a booklet describing installation on various OS's.

I'm always slow to upgrade... I had trouble leaving WFWG3.11 ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

After I hit "Send" I remembered that the only fully successful OS "upgrades" I've done were completely clean installs... not "upgrades" at all.

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature