Grr! The worst assumptions....

... are the one's you don't realise you're making.

DIP22 package. So I just took an existing DIP package layout and added the extra pins.

Every DIP package I've ever come across has 3/10" spacing between opposite rows. But not this one - it appears to be 4/10", though I haven't checked that yet.

As far as I can see, the spec doesn't even mention the spacing. Perhaps I was meant to go to Japan Radio's web site and lookup what they mean by DIP22.

But it never even occurred to me that I was making an assumption here - well, not until the device didn't fit onto the board I'd made.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

That (22pin .400" package) wasn't all that unusual for memory sorts of things (SRAM and PALs/GALs).

I'm pretty sure that's a "standard" package but like a lot of NJR stuff, a real blast from the past.

Reply to
krw

There were a lot of 24-pin wide DIPs BITD, e.g. the CD4067/4097 muxes.

I don't recall a 22-pin one.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs

I wouldn't assume the pin to pin spacing was 0.1 inch either. It is surpris ing that there is no mechanical drawing. Whenever I added new devices into the parts library, I spent a fair amount of time with schematic and PCB foo tprints so that I had top and bottom silk screens and proper spacing and al l the pins properly defined to get good netlists.

Reply to
stratus46

It is 0.1" however. Apparently one's meant to realise that the D2 at the end of the part number means that one has to look for DIP22-D2 on JR's web site.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

I haven't seen a DIP in so long, but I remember the 22 pin is 0.4" wide. I'm younger than most but I must be older than you. The 22 pin package was an oddball between the 0.3" 20 pin and the 0.6" 24 pin DIP. PAL's that have 24 pins and are 0.3" wide came later, close to 1990. But I wonder about what you're doing, using uncommon chips from the 70's.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

I do, it was a 256x4 SRAM, IIRC.

Reply to
krw

I hate when that happens. Kluge it for now.

I saw one board (not mine!) where someone had reversed the pattern of a big BGA FPGA. They made the perp kluge it. It looked like a PCB with a ball of red yarn with a chip on top.

lunatic fringe electronics

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I used to put QIL in DIL holes. Hard to believe someone thought DIL pad spacing too close so they came out with QIL. Then again I remember the soldering on GEC sets in the 70s... appalling.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Wrong pitch on that one?

Seems to be a fairly common thing. Signal integrity might be compromised a tad.

lunatic fringe electronics

Easier with a through-hole device - just mount it on the other side.

I saw someone do that with prototype silicon where the data sheet was written by the fab people who saw the chip "upside down" in the package.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

pdf

ps

by

-

I don't know it is hard to tell, but it is beautifully made

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Depending on your costs and time frame are these of use to you:

John

Reply to
John Robertson

Better link:

John :-#)#

Reply to
John Robertson

I like the flying wire at about 10:00

John

Reply to
John Robertson

I made about 3000 of these:

Maxim sampled me all the chips.

lunatic fringe electronics

Ouch. Those are worse than when I wired a 2mm-pitch CompactFlash adapter to an IDE header (2.5mm) using ribbon cable... and got the flipping thing thing flipped... Two hours of my life I won't get back... but by bastardising the grooves on the socket I could just plug the CF card in flipped... and it worked anyway. It only had to work once.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Ever heard of test points?

--

-TV
Reply to

On the plus side, if you got the pinout right you should be able to scab it onto the board -- either fold the leads under and surface-mount it to the top pads, or tilt the whole thing up and use 11 bits of solid wire as pin extenders.

--
Tim Wescott
I'm looking for work!  See my website if you're interested