Greenland's ice sheet just lost 11 billion tons of ice -- in one day

Yes, Martin, I'm sorry to report that was the true north pole in both cases. You can go to the north pole at some times of the year, take off your parka and change to short sleeves or even a T-shirt.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

** You will need to post a cite for that.

There is no weather station at the North Pole, the nearest regular site is 400 miles away in Greenland.

The highest estimated temp on record is 55F (13C) - during a freak storm in summer.

I checked the Wiki and various links supplied.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Yeah, better not site them on glaciers.

--

  Rick C.

  -- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

Some interesting commentary...

Bert Hickman

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

topography either. Doesn't sound like fun. If it would even be possible at all.

We will not fare well if we end up in another ice age, and if that happens, the Earth will likely stay frozen that way.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Thanks, No worries, apparently it was just a 3 day heat wave and temperatures are returing to normal. The yearly melt is on course, then the ice rebuilds in the winter. Thats the part they dont tell us.

Martin Riddle

We're currently late into a warm interglacial.

The usual state of Earth is ice age.

lunatic fringe electronics

Actually there is a deeper study going on, National Geographic appears to be funding research into these ancient forests.

They are talking about how these forests grew during the MWP and may help predict how the current warming trend will evolve. Still preliminary, but this bears watching (sorry about the pun!).

It isn't all doom and gloom which is nice to see!

John

Reply to
John Robertson

Probably because it doesn't happen to be true. The ice rebuilds to some extent every winter, but there's been a steady loss of ice mass from year to year.

The GRACE satellites measure the actual mass.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

You would have to be wearing your flotation suit...no land mass above the water line at the North Pole.

"The North Pole is at the center of the Northern Hemisphere. While the South Pole lies on a continental land mass, the North Pole is located in the middle of the Arctic Ocean amid waters that are almost permanently covered with constantly shifting sea ice."

Wikipedia...

John

Reply to
John Robertson

But that can change quickly:

Steve Wilson

It has been for the last 2.58 million years. The 260 million years before t hat were ice-free.

We actually understand how the planet flips between ice ages and interglaci als, and as long as the atmospheric CO2 levels stay above the typical inter glacial 270ppm we are unlikely to flip back.

Eventually continental drift will move the continents away from where they can form big enough ice sheets to sustain an ice age, but we'll have probab ly worked out easier ways of stopping the flip to an ice age before then.

Digging up lots of fossil carbon and burning it as fuel is an effective pre ventive device, but we'll eventually run out of easily accessible fossil ca rbon.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

:
,

ut forty to a couple of hundred years, depending on the trees involved, the soil they are growing in and amount of water the trees can get at.

rrents move around. The Multidecadal Atlantic oscillation (discovered in 19

93) explains that kind of local effect, and there may be even slower oscill ations that we haven't noticed yet.

he

ests

The forest grew in a particular place and the medieval warm period was also local rather than global. You do need to find out a bit more about what's going on before you turn up your optimism.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

ion-intl/index.html

the typical number?

Kinda weird. He uses the extremists as his examples and specifically discr edits their cherry picking of the data while cherry picking his own data. He also does nothing to present a rational balanced viewpoint, rather only addresses what he calls the "alarmists". Ok, it's not surprising that alar mists have extreme views. So what about the actual issue?

--

  Rick C.

  -+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

llion-intl/index.html

is the typical number?

credits their cherry picking of the data while cherry picking his own data. He also does nothing to present a rational balanced viewpoint, rather onl y addresses what he calls the "alarmists". Ok, it's not surprising that al armists have extreme views. So what about the actual issue?

The Earth has been going thru major climatic changes during its entire hist ory

In a 2013 study published in Nature, 133 researchers analyzed a Greenland i ce core from the Eemian interglacial. They concluded that GIS (Greenland Ic e Sheet) had been 8 degrees C warmer than today. Resulting in a thickness d

250 metres, reaching surface elevations 122,000 years ago of 130?
Reply to
Flyguy

e:

billion-intl/index.html

s,

t is the typical number?

iscredits their cherry picking of the data while cherry picking his own dat a. He also does nothing to present a rational balanced viewpoint, rather o nly addresses what he calls the "alarmists". Ok, it's not surprising that alarmists have extreme views. So what about the actual issue?

story

ice core from the Eemian interglacial. They concluded that GIS (Greenland Ice Sheet) had been 8 degrees C warmer than today. Resulting in a thickness

?250 metres, reaching surface elevations 122,000 years ago of 130?

So what?

The last 2.58 million years of alternating ice ages and interglacials isn' t the Earth's "entire history". There hadn't been any ices ages for the pre vious 260 million years, and there was the Eocene-Paleocene Thermal Maximum some 56 million year ago (which also seems to have reflected a rather sudd en injection of greenhouse gas into the atmosphere.

Current CO2 levels are about 50% higher than seen in previous interglacials , so what we are seeing is the warming process, not a static condition that you can s try to match up with the condition reached in a prolonged warm p eriod in a previous interglacial.

You do need to keep in mind that we've got the current ice age because the continents have drifted into an arrangement that is compatible with ice age s.

They are still moving, so no ice-age nor interglacial is going to be exactl y like the last one, and we'll eventually stop having ices again for anoth er hundred million-odd years.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

There were also favorable conditions on other side of the Atlantic, especially in Scandinavia. This caused a strong population growth and when the oldest son inherited the farms, younger sons had to seek fortune from somewhere else. Thus vikings messed around the seas from America to the Caspian Sea.

Reply to
upsidedown

Artic lakes may have more than 1 m of ice durig the winter, some shallow lakes are frozen to the bottom. Still in the spring and early summer this melts away in less than 4 months, so at least 10-15 mm/day.

Reply to
upsidedown

During that period vikings had a colony in western Greenland and they had agriculture. So the warm period was not limited to Alaska.

Reply to
upsidedown

Some back of the envelope estimates:

The CNN article talks about melting 11 billion (11E9) tonnes/day this

cm of ice sheet.

Of course some or all is restored during the winter thanks to snow fall.

Lakes in the Arctic often have at least 1 m (100 cm) of ice each winter and melts in the summer. Even compared to this, the CNN figures are on the low side and then they try to generate alarmist propaganda:-).

Reply to
upsidedown