Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Re: google earth is weird

Could be worse, like this UFO sticking out:

http://www.weirdca.com/gallery/var/albums/Weird/Sets/Frys/Burbank/CIMG0422.JPG

Yesterday during a long bike ride I dropped into a pub and brought home
a growler of "Count Your Blessings Belgian Single" :-)

http://mrazbrewingcompany.com/

It'll only be there a few days, they change the home page all the time
when kegs run out and new brews get ready.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/mraz-count-your-blessings/354834/

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Re: google earth is weird
   Also, Google maps have the habit of placing a business in the middle
of a parking lot.

Re: google earth is weird
On Wed, 24 Aug 2016 15:47:42 -0700, John Larkin

I can't do anything with the airplane, but the fake 3D trees can be
eliminated by going to:
  Tools -> Options -> 3D View
In the "Terrain" section, uncheck "Use 3D Imagery".

I also suggest that you go to:
  Tools -> Options -> Navigation
and select
  "Do not automatically tilt while zooming"
so that Gargoyle Earth acts in a more sane manner while zooming.

Re: google earth is weird

That's a good one. The auto-tilt is really annoying.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: google earth is weird
On Wed, 24 Aug 2016 20:33:22 -0700, John Larkin

I kinda like the 2 level side walks.

Cheers

Re: google earth is weird
On Wed, 24 Aug 2016 20:33:22 -0700, John Larkin

That didn't work the way I expected.  Some cities have the 3D
buildings that were created by volunteers many years ago using Google
Building Maker:
<http://www.gearthblog.com/blog/archives/2013/08/google-continues-to-expand-3d-imagery.html
I did my office building and a few odd radio sites.  Google then
decided it had a better way.  They would use 3D photos from satellite
and aircraft images, and generate their own 3D images.
<http://www.gearthblog.com/blog/archives/2014/09/google-earth-automatically-generated-3d-mesh.html
The buildings and trees are examples of these generated 3D images,
which in my never humble opinion, are generally quite good.  However,
they're not perfect, as your example shows.

If I disable the fake 3D trees, I also disable the generated 3D
building images, resulting in a very flat looking 2D landscape.  Since
the 3D buildings and trees are generated independently, it might be
possible to obtain better fine grain control and turn on/off whichever
3D features are needed, instead of turning on/off all the 3D features
with one checkbox.

Also, I played around with the image as seen from your location.  The
airplane is also an artifact of the generated 3D buildings.  It looks
like an elevated shadow of one of the nearby trees, but I'm not sure.
It goes away when 3D is turned off.

Yep.

Re: google earth is weird

The building front probably didn't come from a satellite, so maybe
they have merged Street View data somehow. It is better to tolerate
the trees and the airplane, in exchange for a better rendering of the
building.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: google earth is weird
On Thu, 25 Aug 2016 19:34:01 -0700, John Larkin

Agreed.  Some clues on how it was done, although the exact methods are
probably a Google secret:
<https://www.quora.com/How-are-the-3D-models-of-buildings-generated-on-Google-Earth
  "These new automated building generators were used to fill
  most of the neighborhoods in San Francisco, for example."

"The never-ending quest for the perfect map"
<https://maps.googleblog.com/2012/06/never-ending-quest-for-perfect-map.html

Combining Street View and aerial photography might produce some odd
results because the two photos were taken at different days and times.
Shadows, reflections, and movable objects (vehicles) will all be
different in the two views.  The "airplane" in the building might be
the roof of a bus or an odd shadow.

Re: google earth is weird

  What gets me is the flying conch.

  Mark L. Fergerson

Re: google earth is weird
On Wed, 24 Aug 2016 20:37:11 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@bid.nes"

You'd fly too if an airplane were chasing you across Potrero Avenue.

The buildings seem to be collapsing too.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: google earth is weird

I like the basic images where a building seems to be leaning one way and
the building right next to it is clearly leaning the opposite way.  The
shadow also goes in a different direction.  I haven't seen one yet where
the seasons are different on opposite sides of the street.

--

Rick C

Site Timeline