Good mixed signal Simulaor ??

Hi all i need a good mixed signal simulator which can meet my most analog simulation requirements and some digital interfacing as well. Also it would be of great help if i could get the models for the NEW OPAMPs of Linear, Analog & TI etc or i could create such models as per my current selections of opamps to get the better/realistic response of the circuit. i am not satisfied with Multisim Electronics workbench 2001, Circuitmaker 2000 and protel 99se simulations or performance which is sometimes very unpredictable/inconsistent. thanks

PLEASE DO MENTION THE VERSION ALSO FOR THE RECOMMENDED PROGRAM.!!

Reply to
Matrix

LTSpice, from Linear Tech's web site, is free and very good for the price.

For commercial offerings, I'd suggest SIMetrix by Catena is quite good (you can also get the SIMetrix engine bundled in various schematic capture/PCB tools such as Pulsonix).

In general one just downloads these the manufacturers' web sites.

---Joel Kolstad

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

LTSpice isnt really a mixed-mode simulator. e.g. As far as I am aware it doesn't have clocked D/JK types.

Simetrix is a tad expensive.

Kevin Aylward B.Sc. snipped-for-privacy@anasoft.co.uk

SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture, Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

"There are none more ignorant and useless,than they that seek answers on their knees, with their eyes closed"

Reply to
Kevin Aylward

It does have a D-type and an S/R. The last time I looked it didn't have a T- or a J/K.

Building one is on my might do list.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

i have downloaded and tried LTSpice but there isn't option for different type of sources to activate the circuit e.g. sine/triangular wave to feed into an opamp circuit. if it has got then please inform me or how could i do that alternatively. thanks

snipped-for-privacy@ieee.org wrote:

Reply to
Matrix

Do you REALLY need a simulator, probably not. As you have allready noticed they dont perform very well. Getting good results requires years of experience and an expensive setup, very much a LAST resort, you simulate when there is no practical alternative. Save your money and buy some test gear, learn to build and measure. Not only is this better but mostly its quicker as well.

Reply to
cbarn24050

Ask here:

Regards, Damir

Reply to
Damir

Hi there. Of course LTSpice can do sine/triangle / other waveforms. Would'nt be much use if it could not.Click the "Component" icon(AND gate symbol) . Select "voltage" source. Place that. Right click on the symbol and choose "Advanced". You can set up your waveform from there.Triange you can make with PWL or use a pulse waveform with total rise and fall times equil to the period and no "Ton". Hope this helps. Cheers Rob

Reply to
seegoon99

PSpice A/D.

...Jim Thompson

For fucks sake.... it's like having a wank.

Either it comes naturally or you have to work at it.

DNA

Reply to
Genome

Bwahahahahahaha! ROTFLMAO ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Only if you don't know how to drive it properly. Spice itself performs brilliantly.

Spice is cheap, so no on that front. Yes, typically, to be useful as an analogue designer, you need at least 5 years of post graduate experience, irrespective of whether you use spice or not.

Oh dear...here we go again...complete nonsense. Try designing a 10,000 transistor circuit on the bench. Its just not going to happen mate.

Again, for the Nth time, spice simulators are *mandatory" for any analogue ic design. For pros that really know how to use spice, spice for board level design is still bread and butter.

Yes, real gear is very, very useful, but so is knowing spice. For i.c. design, all products are designed entirely using simulation with, many, many working completely correctly on 1st pass silicon. This is the way it is. No amount of "hey, spice is not the real world" will change the facts of what is actually done in ic companies on a day to day basis, successfully.

Sure, it can be a bit more work in board level to get the models ok, but someone who actually knows what he is doing, does this with little trouble. Its only the novices and inexperienced that cant get spice to give accurate, realistic results for all but the most stubborn board level circuits.

No it isnt.

No it isnt.

Kevin Aylward B.Sc. snipped-for-privacy@anasoft.co.uk

SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture, Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

"There are none more ignorant and useless,than they that seek answers on their knees, with their eyes closed"

Reply to
Kevin Aylward

At last you agree with me.

And for the Nth time the op isn't intersed in ic design.

Once more your still banging on about the irrelevant.

Why not?

It sure is.

Reply to
cbarn24050

He is interested in analogue design. Analogue IC design point the correct way to board level design.

Nope. Illustrating that for the *majority* of analogue applications, Spice is absolutely indispensable.

Oh? Your a mindreader than?

However, based on logic, to wit:

"would be of great help if i could get the models for the NEW OPAMPs of Linear, Analog & TI etc or i could create such models as per my current"

Its seems he is doing generic circuit circuit design.

Complete nonsense. You have not got a bloody clue what your talking about.

Been there mate. Analogue, board design for many years in addition to many years ic design. Spice is the way to go for both. Not debatable. Once you become a real analogue engineer you will understand why.

Ho humm...the differance is in line with why we PCs use software to program them. A hardware version of Excel would be a tad tricky.

Crap. It takes a few seconds to set up a simulation, bloody hours soldering up a circuit.

Kevin Aylward B.Sc. snipped-for-privacy@anasoft.co.uk

SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture, Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

"There are none more ignorant and useless,than they that seek answers on their knees, with their eyes closed"

Reply to
Kevin Aylward

What rubbish, Spice was only invented because you cant breadboard an ic.

I wonder how we managed before spice?

How can he be an expert if he's asking this question?

waste of cash. Hopefully he will realise buying yet another simulator would waste even more.

So you cant actually answer the question then.

Some years ago I made the mistake of buting EC2 simulator (Tatum labs). I couldnt get a 4 transistor amp to simulate so I phoned up the supplier (Those Engineers) he said "no problem come down tomorrow and i'll show you how to do it". Eight hours later he still couldnt even get a DC analasis, bear in mind it's just 4 bjts and a few resistors, just like you as I was leaving he was still telling me how easy it was. I know your going to tell me things are much better now but as you have a simulator to sell you would wouldnt you. Yes it did take hours to build but as I had to build it anyway it hardly matters. I guess if all you make is "virtual products" the simulation is ok after all it doesnt much matter if its not quite right.

Reply to
cbarn24050

Wow, so I wonder how I have been designing stuff for 40 years.Must have been in my imagination..... (I have never used any simulator for electronics).

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

I've been designing for ~50 years...

But you've not designed something with a few thousand transistors in a single circuit.

...Jim Thompson

Well.. One of my designs needed a 5v 50 amp supply,did not count the components, but I used a 19 inch rack 1.8 meter high to store it all.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Piker! I did a 5V/400A supply for an acoustic imaging machine about

30 years ago ;-)

...Jim Thompson

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 07:53:42 GMT, "Kevin Aylward" Gave us:

I agree 100%.

We used to sim everything we built. Works great as long as one knows where and when certain parasitic effects need to be included, etc. (or not). If you don't include ALL the parameters of your circuit in a sim set up, it is obviously not going to behave in the manner your real world set up behaves.

Whenever there is such a disparity between one's circuit and one's sim, one has left out a parameter of the circuit's operation in the sim setup that affects it adversely enough to yield a significant difference in the results observed over the results calculated and displayed. When they match up, one actually reinforces one's knowledge of electronics due to the fact that one was able to locate and include all the elements of the physical circuit that affect its function or operation. A good sim package, and a good sim engineer makes a good sim package one hell of a goo learning tool.

Complaining that sims never work merely means that what is really going on is the engineer or technician in question is not working at full capacity. Put ALL of the parameters in, and get reliable results... it really is that SIMple.

Even works in realms where parasitics are rampant, such as High Voltage Power Supplies or Micro-Wave RF gear.

Since it works so well when it is set up correctly, this can only mean that a non functioning sim points to operator error, and or a non functioning SIMgineer. :-]

Reply to
Phat Bytestard