Good label printer for panel overlays

Check this out:

Let me know if you can't see this -- I think I made the image public. I made the label with a DuraLabel Pro 300 with 84-50 brushed aluminum label material and 7433020 ink, all available from

I've written about the DuraLabel 4TTP in the past, but this new model has much better accuracy in the long dimension -- good enough that I can now use the label as a drilling/punching template, and the ink shrugs off the machine oil.

The stock costs serious money -- you can easily blow $10 by accidentally sending a couple of blank pages to the printer. Also, you're limited to 4" labels, so I'm limited to 2U panels, unless I want to cheat a bit, as with the attached photo of a 3U panel. All in all, though, it's great for one-off and prototype panel overlays.

-Jim MacA.

Reply to
Jim MacArthur

That's nice. Seriously nice.

Reply to
Ralph Barone

.

Very nice! Well done!!

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

om.

Another alternative is FrontPanelExpress:

Its more expensive, but they cut the panel for you, so don't worry about square cutouts etc.

The german partner (europe):

tml

Regards

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

On a sunny day (Wed, 19 Oct 2011 02:00:41 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Klaus Kragelund wrote in :

That is very nice, just what I needed. Works out cheaper than DIY I think. (No tools to buy). Thanks.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Wed, 19 Oct 2011 11:39:06 GMT) it happened Jan Panteltje wrote in :

This is nice, I downloaded the Linux version, it crashed.. Then I downloaded the windows version and it runs in wine. Easy to make a nice panel, but the engravings are expensive. Holes are cheap :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Punches for square holes are not expensive from Ebay. OTOH you'll need a press. I often use my drill-press for milling aluminum but I'm thinking about buying a real milling machine.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

I have found them quite useful. I needed to cut speaker holes and the hole for a button on the cases of a device I was building. I made up a template that fitted into the PCB mounts that had holes in the right places that allowed me to dremel route out the boxes guide the drills perfectly every time. After a while, the edges did sort of get munged by the router bits on one of the templates, but I had been smart enough to make two!

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

Engravings are much cheaper if you use a single-stroke font (I used one of the DIN ones, if I recall correctly. Much cheaper than the Times (or somesuch) 4-stroke font I first tried.)

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb (at) telus.net

..

one of the really good things about they layout program is the price gets broken down to each feature, so you can quick and easy see why the price is what it is and what changes will make it cheaper

and there's usually a bit of candy in the packages from them, at one xmas it was a calendar with 24 pieces of chocolate :)

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

On a sunny day (Wed, 19 Oct 2011 12:48:26 -0700) it happened Peter Bennett wrote in :

I like Arial, but it did not show in the wine version. Arial is a nice neutral font.

Maybe that is a limitation of this program, or maybe I forgot to add it to wine? I do remember adding fonts to wine years ago... Or would it be in the Linux version? I have hundreds of fonts in Linux.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I expect that you are limited to the fonts provided by their design program - the resulting design file needs instructions to drive the router, so normal computer font designs probably can't be used.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb (at) telus.net

On a sunny day (Thu, 20 Oct 2011 11:45:37 -0700) it happened Peter Bennett wrote in :

Strange because that program list sone really weird non-technical fonts. For example Arch, and Gothic... I will have go at it again later.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Bennett

Bennett

Panteltje

:

Klaus

:

esigner.html

Thinking about it, fonts for a router may be best expressed in a limited (only round apertures) Gerber like language.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

How about screen printing? Besides, nowadays screen printing is (being) replaced by inkjet printers. The company I order my PCBs from uses an inkjet like printer to apply the silk screen.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel