Re: CD/DVD "Label" Printers

>Anyone have recommendations/observations about printers that print >_directly_ onto CD's or DVD's? > >I have stick-on labels I can easily print, but the rumor mill says >these don't work on DVD's... they are an open invitation to jamming. > > ...Jim Thompson

No, I don't think labels are a good idea- as well as jamming, I think they're mostly autobalance hubs these days, but that has its limits.

Here's one with a fair number of reviews, mostly positive, but some people had problems: ($99 with free shipping and no tax- except California, New Jersey, New York (grumble), and Tennessee).

Of course they are inkjet printers, so I'd be worried about the cartridges drying up between uses. You also have to buy the inkjet printable blanks. If it's for a one-shot deal (distributing videos of an event or something) I'd go for it.

I have Lightscribe on a couple of drives but I've never tried it-- seems like a lot of time spent and hours off of the red laser lifetime for the results.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I've seen a few claiming "thermal" printer. Any input on that?

...Jim Thompson

                  The truth is incontrovertible
                     Democrats may attack it
                 Ignorant Liberals may deride it
                   But in the end, there it is

                  - Winston Churchill (edited)

Never tried one. They use thermal transfer ribbons and are monochrome, kind of like label printers?

Okay, the Casio CWL300 manual says you must print the disk before you record on it, otherwise the data could be corrupted. Not a big deal I guess.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

In message , Jim Thompson writes

Used a couple of thermal CD/DVD printers, they're OK but don't expect high art. The resolution makes them only suitable for utilitarian labelling (think Dymo/Casio electronic label printer resolution) and fairly rudimentary graphics which may be exactly what you need I suppose. The print is fairly durable and you can buy different colour 'ribbons' if that really takes your fancy. Very easy to use and reliable, the ones I used printed on everything I threw at them, it was TDK but I don't remember the model.

--
Clint Sharp
Reply to