good basic tutorial on machining

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation Picosecond-resolution Digital Delay and Pulse generators Custom timing and laser controllers Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links VME analog, thermocouple, LVDT, synchro, tachometer Multichannel arbitrary waveform generators

Not bad. But it's amusing that their "good example" isn't. The upper-left hole is not drawn consistently.

Reply to
Frank Miles

I found it interesting even though I don't need any machining done. A lot of it common sense-- for a machinist --not so for the common guy needing parts machined. He hit on, don't specify a higher tolerance than you need, several times. Mikek

btw, When I was in high school we had a full machine shop that was fully equipped. We had several drill presses, 4 or 5 Milling Machines, 2 shapers, at least 10 lathes, a small foundry, tool crib, and more I don't remember. We also had a full woodworking shop. That was in Michigan, when my son went to high school in Florida, there was no machine shop. He's off at college now, and I regret I didn't teach him more hands-on how to build this or that, not that we didn't build things, but I know how much he hasn't done. Times are different, he may never miss it. Last time he was home, he had computer parts shipped to our home. Friday at 5:30 the last parts came by Fedex, a friend from high school showed up, and by 8:00 they had the computer up and running, OS, and other software installed. He was nervous during whole build, he ask if I was nervous, I said no, but I was very nervous when I built MY computer. :-) Times are different, no computer to build when I was his age.

Reply to
amdx

how ?

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Same here. Actually had it in Junior High School as well (Huntington, WV). Plus... my father-in-law to be ran a machine shop ;-)

I'm very much a hands-on person. Changes your whole concept of things when you can touch rather than just theorize. ...Jim Thompson

Upper left hole looks well-defined to me with bottom bore depth and diameter and tolerances.

Reply to
Anthony Stewart

There is a private high school here in SF, tuition about $45K, that has a mandatory welding class.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

That's a skill I wish I'd learned. Both of my sons are/were skilled welders. ...Jim Thompson

Well, it isn't. I realized my error about 2 seconds after posting it, but you beat my cancellation. Sorry for the noise!

Reply to
Frank Miles

A discussion of "cost effective" mechanical design that doesn't even reference ASME Y14.5 GDT is obviously aimed at dilettantes.

;-)

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

It may well be possible to learn this sort of thing for free from Youtube videos (and practice) these days. Maybe not well enough to be a certified pressure vessel welder, but good enough for many non-critical purposes.

The courses are pretty expensive, and from the syllabus they seem to waste a lot of time leading folks through some pretty basic and boring theory before letting you near the materials and tools. If I'm only interesting in welding stainless steel, titanium and aluminum, I'd rather pick one of those and get good at it rather than having someone drone on about every possible material a professional welder might see.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

--- I read it as a 3/8" diameter hole, +/- 0.001", drilled through the material with its center located 5/16" away from the upper and left edges of the part.

Concentric with that hole is a 0.720" diameter cavity counterbored

1/4" down from the near face.

I don't see any inconsistencies there, but the referenced section, "A-A", isn't shown on the part.

It isn't needed, but us nit-pickers...

-- JF

Reply to
John Fields

Nice, the Do's and Don't's ( --

Reply to
George Herold

If you can use a soldering iron you can learn to weld. Get one of those little MIG units, a cut-off saw and some scrap metal. There are plenty of references on Miller and Lincoln sites on amp/volt settings. Weld away, make mistakes and learn from them. I have a L-Tec 250 TIG (older unit), a Millermatic 250 MIG and a Hobart Champion Elite that I use for stick. I use the TIG most of the time but the MIG is handy to throw stuff together. I use the Hobart for fence and general outside work. Once you master the MIG get a TIG unit or get a power supply that will do MIG and TIG.

Get some metal and start making stuff. Hell, sometimes I just weld up "art" pieces because it's relaxing for me.

I'm behind the times some. My next must have item is a plasma cutter.

--
Chisolm
Republic of Texas

a lot less noisy that what else happens around here ;)

A was bit confused for while and I did have mentally flip it around a few times to see if I missed something

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Grin, My house 'came' with an arc Welder..(and lotsa other fun stuff) I'd helped friends a few times. I bought a book and went at it one day. The e arly welds where crap... but by the end of the day I could make something t hat would hold together.. even if the weld was still 'butt' ugly.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

When I finished school the way to get into university was either the old way; 3 years at gymnasium, or the new way, where the first year was mixed will different subjects at a technical school

I took the new way so I didn't get to learn greek, latin have classes on ancient history, music or sport etc.

Instead I learned all kinds of welding, used a mill a lathe, changed a few head gaskets, wound a few transformers build a couple of electronics gizmos, did wiring for a house, some carpentry, masonry

one down side was that it was 1 girl in 100, instead of the 50/50 at a regular gymnasium

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Something that never crossed my mind, on the marina here, the marine mechanic was getting ready to do some TIG welding. He uses a high frequency unit (apparently helps start and stabilize the arc). He got things setup and was having much trouble, after checking all the connections and head scratching it was finally figured out that the cable was coiled on the trailer, making an inductor that limited the HF current. He stretched out the cable and it worked fine. It also surprised me to see the machine created an arc between a gap to generate the high frequency. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

About 9/16" from the edges-- and you can't drill a 3/8" hole to

+/-0.001" tolerance. It will have to be drilled undersize and reamed to size to meet that tight a tolerance specification. To reduce the cost, spec the hole diameter at +/-0.006" or looser, if that works for the application.

Note there is no specific tolerance for concentricity, so the tolerances and any lack of perpendicularity can add in the worst case.

?? It's on there- it's a view into the pocket milled into the surface,

1/4" deep.

I think I'd have the "side view" below the "top view", but what they've done is not wrong. Much of the world uses first angle orthographic projection, not third angle as shown.

Spehro Pefhany