Generator Project

I dug down and just ran into a bunch of rocks. I know when I fill the hole I'm not puting any more rocks back. Eventually I found the line break. Now I need to splice together two 2/O wires. I need a splice connector. I might try the local electrical supply places and see.

Once I get it fixed there will be three 2/O lines for regular power and three #10 AWG for the generator to the barn. My transfer circuit,

will be a reminder to turn off the service disconnect, since the generator won't connect unless it's off.

I'm thinking of waterproofing the splice with electrical tape, silicon and liquid nails.

Reply to
Jon

Code usually requires the trench be "shaded". Your codebook can tell you how given the service requirements.

Read your codebook.

Reply to
D Yuniskis

Martin Riddle

Silicone doesn't adhere to electrical insulation or damp copper. I'm pretty sure Liquid Nails conducts electricity in the presence of moisture.

Better put a good fence. Dead pets and dead children on your property might attract attention to your electrical code violations.

Kevin McMurtrie

Geeze, I've never read such stupidity before.

  1. You cannot splice underground. Fails to meet code. Will also fail.

  1. Electrical tape is NOT suitable for exposed (including underground) applications.

  2. Silicone what? Bathtub caulk? Grease? WTF!

  1. Liquid Nails is for holding wood together, not electrical work...

  2. Three #10 wires are not sufficient for the generator. Size is too small.

  1. You need two current carrying conductors, one neutral and one ground. You're missing a wire.

  2. Please test the output of your generator this way: attach the L1 wire to your left hand and tape it on. Attach the L2 wire to your right hand and tape it on. You can use electrical tape for this purpose. Next start the generator. Finally flip on the breaker/switch on the generator and see if you have voltage. If no voltage, fix this problem and RETEST.
Reply to
PeterD

John Ferrell W8CCW

Reply to
John Ferrell

liquid nails are great for electrical, and dental work.

where did the capacitor go? I miss it.

I see there are indicator lamps now, but no time delay relays yet.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Split bolts, Kapton tape, rubber tape and liquid tape to finish it off..

Reply to
Jamie