LG rocks

My wife ran her new LG cell phone through the washer and dryer. After it came out, it was dead, so she did the worst possible thing... connected it to the charger. She showed it to me and it looked to me like the LCDs were broken, so I told her it was a goner. Next day she took it to the Verizon kiosk at the mall, to buy a new one. The guy said "they're tough... try it" so she did, and it worked. The LCDs were still useless, but that's because they were full of water; a couple of hours in the sun dried them out. Now everything works, including both LCDs and the camera. She's happy; I'm impressed.

I wonder if they have an immersion sensor. That would be easy, just an unpopulated 0402 part, or even an unconnected pin on an IC if done right. One could shut down most everything to minimize electrolytic damage. An ideal component would be an 0402 gadget that went lo-z when wet and took a long time to dry out, sort of a sponge with end caps, connected into the power supply to shut down everything when the guts were wet.

Is anything like that being done?

John

I don't if there's such a sensor, but my wife dropped her LG in the footbath at her nail salon. Worked just fine after a few days drying out ;-)

...Jim Thompson

On a sunny day (Mon, 23 Mar 2009 08:24:33 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

Old Umatic video recorders had moisture sensors. Was in Italy one day, recorder from a cold truck, needed to record .. Used an electric heater to dry the moisture. Just in time.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Do they make these for cell phones? I doubt the phone would get any signal though.

Bob

Reply to
<castlebravo242

In Africa my pal dropped his rental cellphone--our link to civilization--in the Indian Ocean. It started to smoke.

"Quick, take out the battery!," I said. He did.

A bit of corrosion near the battery terminals. Hmmm. Rinsed it thoroughly in the cleanest fresh water we could find, dried it out (took a couple days).

Good as new.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

Salt water being the worst possible dunking. General recipe is as you said - take the battery out and wash with water. Ideally distilled. Then, if you have the luxury, dunk it in denatured alcohol and then dry.

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Alcohol would've made it dry faster, which would've been nice.

As it was I was glad just to find clean rinse water, and fresh to boot!

The worst damage by far was electrolytic corrosion driven by the battery. Salt water is surprisingly conductive. Surprised me, anyhow.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

You blew it; that idea was good for a patent that could have been used to squeeze a lot of money out of cell phone makers...

Reply to
Robert Baer

Alcohol absorbs moisturer and leaves things wet. After alcohol treatment it must remain warm enough and should first be blowed out. My Weller hot air pistol works well.

greg

Reply to
GregS

I usually put the phone under a 100 watt lamp 1 foot away. I then cycle it to make it breath. One phone was very difficult. I took it apart several times. After a week or two it was OK. I had to clean every little part. I also prefer ending in a lubricant VCI like Bullfrog.

greg

Reply to
GregS

must remain warm enough

Maybe wash it out with Vodka?

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

On a sunny day (Tue, 24 Mar 2009 14:29:23 +0000) it happened Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote in :

must remain warm enough

Considering the price of a bottle here,

better buy a new phone. Just got a new one, 3 bands, email, internet, radio, mp3 player, bluetooth, infrared, voice recognition, camera, some more cannot remember, 4 hours talk time, + charger for the price of

2 bottles ?
Reply to
Jan Panteltje

must remain warm enough

Holy Crap!

At the local grocery store, I can get 1.75L of "Prestige" vodka for US$8.99 + sales tax (about 8-9%).

But it's _still_ way too expensive (not to mention, too precious as a beverage fortifier) to use for cleaning stuff.

I did once use a few drops for first aid on a skinned elbow, however. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

it must remain warm enough

In Africa one uses solar power, which is green, renewable, and was all we had. I recommend creation of a giant new UN agency in charge of teaching Africans how to dry their cell phones out in the sun.

Green jobs for everyone!

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat