Generator Hookup

Problem solved. I decided to mail the whole thread to...

Director Stacy Turner Dept. of Planning and Community Development

409 South Main St. Harrisonburg, VA 22801

Feel free to mail additional comments ;-) ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | The only thing bipartisan in this country is hypocrisy

You aren't right, IIRC, electricity to homes in the US is almost always a balanced feed from a center-tapped secondary of a transformer (120-0-120, or 240 if you only use the outermost leads), AFAIK 3-phase is only used in distribution and industry settings.

120 degrees. I live in the EU, so here the voltages are 235V between phase and neutral, and 400V between two phases. From this we can deduce that the peak voltage is 332V phase-neutral and 565V phase-phase and that the peak-to-peak voltage is twice that (664 and 1131 V, respectively). Yes, I know the voltages are different in the US, but the ratios should remain the same, i.e. the ratio of the voltage between phase-neutral vs. phase-phase is in the ballpark of 1.702. The peak voltage is the rms voltage times sqrt(2), while the peak-to-peak voltage is the rms voltage times sqrt(8).

Jon, have you taken these potential high voltages (i.e. ~3x normal) into account when choosing the relay you use? If Murphy's law is invoked when the mains come back on line, you might find yourself in a situation where your genny is 180 deg off wrt to mains.

Also, have you tested your design for all the faults that might occur? The likelihood of a fault isn't the issue, but how your design behaves is. The rule you must follow is that any failure must be a right-side failure (fail-safe, i.e. fails in a manner which renders the circuit safe), you may under no circumstances allow a wrong-side (i.e. fails in a manner which renders the circuit unsafe) failure to occur. Your and others lives, health and safety depend on it.

Well, I tried (see above). Personally, I would leave the design of the circuit to professionals, because even though I'm educated in electronics and know my way around digital logic and computers, I know that the design of the circuit is advanced enough, even by my standards, to warrant a pro having a looksie at it and utter his approval or GTFO...

/Teo.

--
Teodor Väänänen                | Don't meddle in the affairs of wizards,
   | for you are good and crunchy with
http://www.algonet.se/~teodor/ | ketchup.
Remove stupidity to reply.     |
Reply to
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Teodor_V=E4=E4n

an=20

know=20

period.=20

Single phase 240 V center tap grounded.

phases=20

Related by 120 degree differences phase to neutral;, 208 V in standard = services.

And I am even less impressed than Fred Abase. You are outside your range= of=20 competence. I am an electrical engineer, but you don't see me = pontificating=20 about optics with attitude and a hard head.

I have done construction inspection also, including smallish services = like=20

120/240 V 3-phase 400 A. I have also reviewed designs up to 10 MVA at 12= kV.
Reply to
JosephKK

People PC is owned by Earthlink.

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Reply to

You don't know enough to come in out of the rain.

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Reply to

Let's see how talkative he is by Monday or Tuesday :-) ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | The only thing bipartisan in this country is hypocrisy

Or if he still has electricity and Internet access?

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Reply to

I don't know, I printed out the whole thread, with headers highlighted, and mailed it to the director. Who knows? Virginia often votes Democrat, so they may just approve his Rube Goldberg scheme :-( ...Jim Thompson

Email it to the local fire chief, so they know not to respond when the shit hits the fan.

Michael A. Terrell

On the bright side, when the shit does hit, at least the fan won't be spinning! :)

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

No, but they might get hurt or killed at a neighbor's house when his 'Rube Goldberg' acts up.

Michael A. Terrell