I want to run 12V 4.5AMP fan

How can I run 12VDC 4.5Amp fan from 110VAC? I need AC/DC adapter but I cannot find anything that can supply 4.5Amp or these cost more than the fan. I can build a powersupply but I am not sure how to handle 4.5Amp issue. I can get transformer and build DC rectifier. How do I provide

4.5amp at 12VDC? Or if there is any place I can buy this adapter for reasonable price please let me know.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Thanks, irfan

Reply to
humbleFunGuy

humbleFunGuy wrote this in :

Probably cheaper to buy a new fan. 4.5A is quite heavy current. A transformer able to handle this, 4 diodes able to handle this and a capacitor of suitable size. Costs 50$ I'd guess. Cheapest is to buy a car battery charger (can be had for 10-15US$) and rip out the control circuit.

--
MVH,
Vidar

www.bitsex.net
Reply to
Vidar Løkken

It would be much cheaper to buy a 120 VAC fan than to build or by a power supply to run your fan!!!

--

JANA _____

4.5amp at 12VDC? Or if there is any place I can buy this adapter for reasonable price please let me know.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Thanks, irfan

Reply to
JANA

Do you HAVE to use a DC supply? A DC motor, viz. a 'commutator-brush' motor, will often/usually run on AC? Maybe a transformer with an output of 12 volts 5 amps AC (60 VA) would be OK? If you ain't worried about phase angle etc. you could try a series capacitor of around 100 mfd. (rough calculation!) and an AC voltage rating of at least

180 volts or so onto a 115 volt AC supply. Otherwise get a 115 volt fan!
Reply to
Terry