Fusion, Maybe

If you are determined to snip the facts and cringe in fear of the simulated end of the world, well, enjoy.

Things seem to be getting steadily, remarkably better to me.

Reply to
jlarkin

No, not cringing; crusading, rather, for a better future. You, apparently, think the future is only better if it's a scaled-up version of today.

Alas, the arable land area is NOT going to scale up. Neither is the available radiative cooling capacity of this globe.

Quality, not quantity, is what we can most improve. That means less greenhouse gas.

Reply to
whit3rd

<snip>

That's because John Larkin lets climate change denial propagandists like Anthony Watts snip his facts for him. If you don't know much - and John Larkin is remarkably ignorant - you are a sitting duck for propaganda.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

More food and more electricity sounds good to me.

If technology and more CO2 increases crop yield per acre by a factor of 10 or so, we don't need as much farmland to feed the world.

Once half the population was farmers and they barely fed themselves. The USA now has under 2% farmers and we have cheap reliable food and surpluses to export.

We have a moral obligation to help the poorest people escape poverty and hunger. Energy and fertilizers and education are required to do that.

Reply to
jlarkin

In the US, both food and electricity kill people. Probably the food more than the electricity.

How did more electricity come out of global warming again? I think I missed that.

Sorry, you are combining technology with CO2? A tenfold increase in crop production has little to do with CO2 levels. You can be pretty funny sometimes.

Yes, and global warming is not a needed part.

Reply to
Rick C

Neither of which depend on burning more fossil carbon.

More CO2 doesn't increase crop yield by more than a few percent - plants also need water, accessible nitrogen (nitrates, or urea) phosphate and so forth.

Technology can be more helpful, but that doesn't depend on burning fossil carbon.

That was the agricultural revolution, and it preceded steam power and the industrial revolution by quite a bit.

None of which depend on burning fossil carbon. That was the route we took when we knew a lot less than we do today. John Larkin's point of view does seem to stuck on coal-fired energy sources.

Relentlessly ignorant and depressingly gullible.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

Yeah, it sounds good. It's a shallow view of course, because it comes from John Larkin. Blinders OFF, and that's not what you see.

In other words, a scaled-up version of today. Note, however, that the 'more food' presumes more people who eat the food, and drink water, yet have low population density (or very good sewage treatment). More is NOT better if the river runs dry, the fields revert to desert, the hospitals cannot cope and illness sweeps through the population. Sewage treatment, and electricity: a dry river hurts both.

Texas has currently 13 million cattle. That's less than in 1975 (16 million), but for now, there's enough water and grass for that many. In 1975, US population was 215 million, now it's 332 million. So, where's your 'more food' story that covers this? Beef per person has gone down near a factor of two. Price is up, though.

Huh? What disciple of Nostradamus told you that was going to happen?

Reply to
whit3rd

On a sunny day (Fri, 25 Feb 2022 14:56:11 -0800 (PST)) it happened whit3rd snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

There was also "The club of Rome' predicting the end of everything or something.

It is all about manipulating (or was it marsupilami?) the masses and selling

CO2 levels have been much higher and are cyclic with warm and cold periods (ice ages if you will).

Human beans better have nuclear power plants to run their aircos and heaters else population will go dinos way in large areas. The last 2 Adam and Eva humming beans on earth will have to know all about how to run that stuff.

Just a matter of time

Elon's kids will watch it all from some far away planet.

rt.com RT (Russia Today) is blocked in the Netherlands, good I have a sat dish, maybe EU will kill that channel too like they did their German speaking channel.

We are depending on all that 'tronics, does not take much to become blind and only hear for example biden's vacuum brain echos.

I like it if it gets warmer, was freezing here tonight. Higher temperatures and close to the sea here can create good tourist places. Some orange trees and coconut trees would be nice.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I can say something that is arguably, or absolutely, true, and a gang of idiots here will instantly refute it without stopping to google or think. That's kind of fun.

I post links to solid sources, you snip them.

Reply to
jlarkin

Doom sells. And keeps selling. "Ignore all our failed predictions. We have bigger computers now."

The Netherlands blocks web sites? Who decides?

Maybe there is a reason that people build glass greenhouses and pump them up to 1000 PPM or so CO2.

Reply to
jlarkin

So posting to create a response, not thinking, but purely emotional response. That is the very definition of a troll. Nice to see Larkin admit it. Many of us have been pointing it out for some time now.

LOL

Reply to
Rick C

It is ironic that the dreaded "greenhouse effect" is named after, well, greenhouses. Places where plants flourish.

Truckee hit -2F this morning. Too cold to ski in jeans.

There was an official -11F this week, but the weather station is out in the open at the airport, exposed to the sky and in a local frigid microclimate.

I wonder if there is a name for the condition where someone has above average intelligence in one area, but is severely deficient in other areas? Oh, yeah, idiot savant.

I especially like the fact that Larkin refuses to believe the evidence regarding AGW in part because the predictions are made using computer simulations. Then he presents a NASA study to support his notion that all is well with rising CO2 because it also has a positive effect on plant growth... a study based on computer simulations.

Yeah, well, the "idiot" part of the term certainly applies.

Reply to
Rick C

After humanity has kicked Earth's climate into some wild oscillations I'm sure it will again settle into some metastable condition that is well suited for certain species (like the past 12k years were for humans). Question is, what will human civilization (the only thing interesting in this context) look like during and after that rollercoaster ride. It's out of the question that the ride will happen --it is happening--, but I don't see us taking any action trying to make it less wild.

Reply to
Robert Latest

When has earth's climate ever settled?

Question is, what

Looks nice outside to me.

The next ice age will be very bad news. We can probably mitigate that. CO2 wouldn't be enough, but it might be part of the plan.

Specifically, that was predicting overpopulation, in 1972; China responded to their internal problems in 1980 with the 'one-child policy'. So, was the prediction wrong?

Huh? It's about a problem that requires large-scale solution, why would you want the 'masses'' uninformed?

Reply to
whit3rd

On the one-century time scale, almost always. On the one-month time scale, possibly never. On the one-millenium time scale, sometimes no.

That's not an interesting question.

That's a milleniums-scale speculation; no one alive today has any oar in the water on that issue; we won't interact with that problem during our lifetimes. It's a modern variant on the angels-dancing-on-a-pinhead "issue".

Reply to
whit3rd

Very wrong. Their "computer simulation" didn't account for progress. They didn't even get the sign right.

"the Club of Rome was doing amateur dynamics without a license, without a proper qualification. And they were doing it badly, so I got steamed up about that"

China is facing an aging population and 1.7 births per woman. Their immediate problem isn't too much reproduction, it's too little.

Reply to
jlarkin

On a sunny day (Sat, 26 Feb 2022 11:21:04 -0800 (PST)) it happened whit3rd snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Yes, climate will change, a glacial period will be followed by a warm period over and over again. Our CO2 reduction does not change that. We need to have the knowledge and pass on the knowledge how to create the energy we need to keep living, to the next generation. This did not happen, most are green-minded and destroy old technologies and know nothing about how to build anything.

As to the masses and 'informed' it has always? been like it is today, some leader or bunch of guys controlling a puppet convince the masses of some idea, right or wrong, the masses move like lemmings.. Vietnam war you are drafted, you shall fight, else punishment, chance you die 50%. US used Agent orange, US used depleted uranium ammo in Iraq... US designed covid and killed millions, US designed covid medicines that killed millions because of side effects profit industry make war in Europe, Afghanistan, Syria, Iraq, destabilize countries like for example Venezuela, Cuba US sells snake oil, US put tariffs on imports, US has more debt than a third world country. Thousand died from 'medicines' opioids the masses ARE uninformed, they are played by industry for profit and politicians for power and ego and insane ideas. You do not need to know anything to be a politician, as long as people believe in you, your illusions. It has always been like that .. the Roman empire fell, maybe the little ice age helped.. _No empire yet_ has persisted,

The masses....

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sat, 26 Feb 2022 06:57:40 -0800) it happened snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Dunno, connection just came back Could have been a denial of service attack, any kid can do that. I have read some hacker group will go anti-Russia.

Grow drugs ;-)?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje