Carbon nanotube 16 bit CPU comes of age

This made the physics news today. A working 16bit CPU fabricated on
carbon nanotube semiconductor material. Also in Nature and unusually the
link from the Physics website gives free access (maybe only to members).

If it can be made to work in production quantities then they reckon an
order of magnitude decrease in power consumption relative to silicon.

https://physicsworld.com/a/carbon-nanotube-16-bit-microprocessor-takes-computing-beyond-silicon/

Direct link to Nature article:

The authors love their 5 letter process acronyms...

Martin Brown

Re: Carbon nanotube 16 bit CPU comes of age
Martin Brown wrote...

 More details in an arsTECHNICA article, worth reading:
https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/08/16-bit-risc-v-processor-made-with-carbon-nanutubes/

 "the clockspeed was only 10kHz"

 "Overall, this is an impressive bit of engineering and an important
 validation that we can integrate carbon nanotubes with our existing
 chipmaking processes, as well as with the additional electronics
 that are necessary for a processor to function.  But it doesn't go
 very far in terms of solving the issues that keep carbon nanotubes
 from reaching their full potential."

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Re: Carbon nanotube 16 bit CPU comes of age

Thanks. I missed that minor detail in my initial enthusiasm for it.

It is still impressive to get it to work at all - even if slowly.

Martin Brown

Re: Carbon nanotube 16 bit CPU comes of age

  Could 1024 of them operating in parallel, even slowly crunch down
some serious processing?

Re: Carbon nanotube 16 bit CPU comes of age
On Friday, 30 August 2019 15:57:12 UTC+1, snipped-for-privacy@decadence.org  w
rote:

If the problem is amenable to such parallellism, 1000 cores could net you a
  massive under 10MHz effective performance. For problems that aren't paral
lel processable, you're stuck at 10kHz. Hopefully the next generation can o
ptimise the structure somewhat - never know, it might even reach 0.1MHz

I do think the way of the future is to write code to max out its parallel c
omputability, and have a whole pile of extra cost-cut cores.

NT

Re: Carbon nanotube 16 bit CPU comes of age
 a  massive under 10MHz effective performance. For problems that aren't par
allel processable, you're stuck at 10kHz. Hopefully the next generation can
 optimise the structure somewhat - never know, it might even reach 0.1MHz
 computability, and have a whole pile of extra cost-cut cores.

Only very limited application can live with 100kHz speed. Speed is critical
 for optimal design

Regards

Klaus

Re: Carbon nanotube 16 bit CPU comes of age
On Thu, 29 Aug 2019 08:54:15 +0100, Martin Brown

It can use the Nantero nanotube RAM!

Site Timeline