FUD Electric farm tractors and combines (2023 Update)

A right-wing friend sent this to me -- in alarm! (and yeah, I'm

*SURE* it's "true"; what value to MAKING UP such a load of horseshit?)

----8<----8<----8<----8<---- For those of you that think electric vehicles are the answer -- this is a true story from a farmer in the Midwest- and I’m reposting it-

A midwest farmer with over 10,000 acres of corn and is spread out over

3 counties. His operation is a “partnership farm” with John Deere. They use the larger farm operations as demonstration projects for the promotion and development of new equipment. He recently received a phone call from his John Deere representative, and they want the farm to go to electric tractors and combines in 2023. He currently has 5 diesel combines that cost $900,000 each that are traded in every 3 years. Also, over 10 really BIG tractors.

JD wants him to go all-electric soon.

He said: “Ok, I have some questions. How do I charge these combines when they are 3 counties away from the shop in the middle of a cornfield, in the middle of nowhere?”

“How do I run them 24 hours a day for 10 or 12 days straight when the harvest is ready, and the weather is coming in?” “How do I get a 50,000+ lb. combine that takes up the width of an entire road back to the shop 20 miles away when the battery goes dead?”

There was dead silence on the other end of the phone.

When the corn is ready to harvest, it has to have the proper sugar and moisture content. If it is too wet, it has to be put in giant dryers that burn natural or propane gas, and lots of it. Harvest time is critical because if it degrades in sugar content or quality, it can drop the value of his crop by half a million dollars or more.

It is analyzed at the time of sale.

It is standard procedure to run these machines 10 to 12 days straight,

24 hours a day at peak harvest time.

When they need fuel, a tanker truck delivers it, and the machines keep going. John Deere’s only answer is “we’re working on it.”

They are being pushed by the lefty Dems in the government to force these electric machines on the farmer.

These people are out of control.

They are messing with the production of food crops that feed people and livestock… all in the name of their “green dream.”

Look for the cost of your box of cornflakes to triple in the next 24 months…”

Everything we do has consequences. A trade-off with every action is a reaction. Oil to gas, roads, plastics to exhaust. We live in an oil-based economy, there’s no getting around it. Charging batteries requires a source of energy. Most of that energy comes from fossil fuels.

Conservation is our best resource. Use & recycle and recycle it again. Make the most of our resources, we have a lot to go around. STOP THE TAXING!

----8<----8<----8<----8<----

(sigh) I was tempted to rewrite it from the perspective of horse-drawn plows and tractors scoffing at the introduction of those new-fangled dee-sell tractors ("Whatcha gonna do when you run out of few-ell in the middle of the field? Ride into town to fetch another can of it??")

Or, the modern COMPUTERIZED combines ("Whatcha gonna do when one of dem dare com-pewter chips goes fritz? Have another flown in from China?")

It's amazing how little folks originating such content think of the mental/reasoning capacity of their readers! (or, maybe they've got them pegged! :> )

Reply to
Don Y

For that sort of operation, the dead battery would gets swapped with a charged battery, which can be shipped around on the back of a track.

John Dere would be able to think of that even if some brain dead fossil fuel propaganda creep couldn't.

<snipped the rest of the fairy tale.>

They do seem to have got you pegged.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

It's totally made up & passed along (including by you) until it's viral. See:

Bob Engelhardt

Other than a couple of prototypes Deere is working in case Germany goes completely insane in phasing out IC engines, I think that's the biggest John Deere electric.

The article is a complete fabrication on many counts but there is one valid point. Road construction, large scale farming operations, lumbering and so forth have fuel/lube trucks that refuel the equipment on site. You don't drive a skidder down to the Exxon station to fuel it.

Apropos. I went down to the fair the adjacent county and watched the tractor pulls for a while. A '54 John Deere 60 didn't do too bad considering. When I lived in New Hampshire horse and ox pulling was popular at the fairs and a lot more interesting. They aren't just for show either.

After the com-pewter chip arrives on the slow boat from China you wait a few more weeks for the gen-you-whine certified John Deere tech to show up and install it.

Jon Tester is a bit of an oddity in DC as he knows what a tractor looks like. He's an old school Democrat and not too bad. He's up in 2024 so we'll see how that goes. Distancing himself from Biden would be good.

Reply to
rbowman

This is a cool book.

full of facts and numbers about, well, what it says. An early chapter compares human and horse-powered agriculture to what we do now.

It shows me how amazingly complex and productive civilization is now, and how easy it is for morons to break it and kill maybe billions of people.

A bunch of the world runs on diesel oil and ammonia.

Reply to
jlarkin

Wow! ya think? Was there something in MY post that led you to think

*I* took it as fact?

Sadly, it would have been pretty impractical to discuss without including the text. (feel free to rewrite my original post WITHOUT "passing along" that content)

The point of my post was the utter disregard for critical thought in the minds of the recipients. "Accept ALL of this as TRUE. Do not question it. Do not identify obvious flaws in the presentation. Do not consider alternatives that could address these issues."

It would be akin to compiling a list of *documented* events from the Trump presidency (his meeting with Putin wherein the US translator was removed from the room, the Mueller investigation, etc.) and pointing to the presence of classified documents at his home/office and concluding that he was a RUSSIAN SPY!

Reply to
Don Y

*If* you accept the premise that ICEs will be "banned", I would think the industry (suppliers, consumers and The Public alike) would rethink how we grow foodstuffs.

There's nothing that says a combine needs to cut a 40 ft swath -- except that a SINGLE DRIVER can get more done, that way (but, if machines were driving, the number of such drivers wouldn't be limited!).

Or, that all of the processing done in the combine needs to happen in a single vehicle.

Or, that the energy source needs to be *in* the combine.

Or, that we should be growing that much *corn* (if ICE goes away, 25% of corn crops do as well); after all, the goal is to grow calories!

When petroleum products were introduced to the farm, you didn't see farmers setting up oil wells and refineries on their property (though it was common on farms, back home, to have many thousand gallon fuel tanks on hand). Yet, somehow, fuel availability wasn't a problem (so why would you think electric

*charge* would be? and, who said the charge had to come from "batteries"?)

They didn't drive their tractors all the way "into town" to purchase more fuel (you can move energy without having to move the device that consumes it) so why do you think they'd have to drive an EV "back to the shop" to charge?

Gee, a guy can afford several million dollar combines -- that he "trades in" every three years -- yet he can't come up with a better way of keeping them in service? It must be tough to be poor!

That just means an ENERGY source has to be present proximate to its use.

Yeah, we used to have them at the local "town fair" -- the "loads" were skids with various amounts of concrete blocks onboard. It looked kind of cruel as there was no *purpose* being served by the efforts.

Yet, they still manage to use this sort of equipment! Imagine that! :>

There are always bumps in new technologies/business practices. Especially when a radical paradigm shift comes into play.

But, if the idea makes sense (or, has enough "backing") the market adapts. Just as horse-drawn plows gave way to diesel tractors!

It used to be costly to put an NIC in a device -- hence the reason you saw so many serial port protocols and contorted ways of exchanging data between devices. Now, the cost of the NIC is down in the noise and the associated stack costs along with it.

Computers *in* cars? Software updates *for* cars? <shudder>

Reply to
Don Y

It uses eight big lead-acid batteries that cost around $400 each.

Reply to
jlarkin

They could just use a big/long extension cord ! :)

I would probably run over my own cord though.

boB

Reply to
boB

So there will be charging stations in the middle of the field? Unless Tesla's pipe dreams become a reality moving electrical energy around requires physical infrastructure.

And how will that come to pass?

That's what horses do. I found the difference between horses and oxen interesting. The horse teams come out with their fancy harnesses and prance around. The hard part is getting them hitched to the stone boat. Once hitched they pull for a distance and stall out. After collecting themselves, they make it a little further before giving it up.

The ox teams come out in their utilitarian yokes, and calmly back up to be hitched. Then they drag the boat as far as they can and they're finished. There's no short spurts, when they're done they're done.

The pulling at the New Hampshire state fair ran long enough one evening that the fireworks show started. That really got the horses ramped up while the oxen stood around waiting to go to work.

Think of it like going to the gym. Deadlifts never accomplished anything useful.

Until it breaks down... I went out one morning and the DR650 wouldn't start. Some diagnostics showed the ECU died. There is no work around; find one on eBay, wait for it to be delivered, and replace the unit. That's for a bike that still has a relatively primitive carbureted engine.

The real problem in this case is not the technology as much as John Deere's stand that you never own the technology, you're just using it. They took a page out of Apple's book.

Reply to
rbowman

The $30,000 Volt replacement may or may not be accurate but there is enough data to suggest EV's are a lot like cellphones without user serviceable batteries. Yes, you CAN have the battery replaced but it is more than the car is worth so it goes into the scrap pile when the battery dies.

Hopefully the Gator uses more or less standard golf cart / fork lift batteries but it's still a chunk of change.

Reply to
rbowman

India and other countries faced famine in the '60s. The 'Green Revolution' save the day. otoh, look at the population of India in 1970 versus 2022. Is there another rabbit in the hat that doesn't depend of chemical fertilizers, pesticides, and heavy irrigation?

Norman Borlaug saved the day -- or did he just kick the can down the road?

'The Wizard and the Prophet' is an even-handed treatment of the competing visions of Borlaug and Vogt. Take your pick.

Reply to
rbowman

That's why the put those 12" cords on electric lawnmowers, hedge clippers, and chainsaws. At least you'll only have to replace the extension cord.

Reply to
rbowman

One dream is to invent insect-resistant grain crops that have nitrogen-fixing bacteria in their roots. Some day maybe.

Paul Ehrlich thought that it was useless to help the poor in India; let'em die.

Reply to
jlarkin

If you think about it, most farmland (for crops like corn, wheat, etc.) is "wide open space". And, largely clean soil (no large rocks, tree stumps, etc. to navigate) -- cultivated.

And, the crops tend to be planted in regular rows.

So, the equipment that services those crops could exploit these facts and rely on infrastructure imposed *in* the fields in much the same way that a subway's or trolley's constrained travel path allows power to be delivered *to* the load (instead of carried *in* the load)

Or, the requirement to carry the harvested crop *in* the combine can be eased and moved to a "tender" so that the physical load can be reduced. And, the tender can return the harvested crop to the "collection point" without the "harvester" leaving its job.

Or, the tender can carry the battery for the harvester so that a new battery can replace the existing one as it nears depletion (the discharged battery returning to a service station autonomously).

I.e., you're not stuck with the existing models when you adopt a new technology -- especially if you are "trading in" your equipment "every three years"...

Reply to
Don Y

Why does it have to be in the middle of the field? Does a helicopter come and retrieve the harvested crop "from the middle of the field"? Teleporter?

Why can't the energy source have its own form of locomotion? Or, be "infrastructure"? (see reply to Bob)

Personally, I think (chemical) battery powered electrics are just a transitional technology. Wait 10 years and see how many owners are complaining about the cost/hassle of replacing their no-longer-new batteries -- and the environmental costs that may accompany that.

[Most of the EV owners that I know don't keep a vehicle for more than 2 or 3 years. Are they THAT fickle? Or, are the vehicles that problematic? Or, are they just trying to stay ahead of the depreciation and repair costs??]

So, you think it's *practice* for the horses? "Let's add another 500 pounds and see which teams can cut the mustard..."

You (and the farmers) don't have to avail yourself of the advantages that these technologies offer. You can use a horse-drawn plow. Or, an old carbureted tractor. Or, install windmills on your property.

That's the future of everything. You *rent* music, never *own* an album. You *rent* access to Photoshop. Or MSOffice. Or...

There are folks who rent (lease) vehicles.

I know a company that sells *chipped* vials of distilled water for their instrument. Don't wanna buy their water? Fine! Stop using the instrument!

The trick is to find someone that serves your needs (whatever those may be) at a price that you can "tolerate". Or, find an alternative solution.

If you have the product sought, then you can largely dictate your terms. Until someone comes up with an alternative.

Reply to
Don Y

Not a popular decision. A parable, or something. I was raised in upstate New York. Just about every winter the Times Union would run photos of deer yarded up in the deep snow and starving in the outdoors section. This would inspire caring people to organize hay drops. The next year there would be more deer yarded up and starving. Rinse and repeat.

It got to the point that what was then called the Conservation Department was pleading with people to go out during hunting season and harvest the deer. I left the state 50 years ago but if anything the problem has gotten worse.

So, what happens when human populations exceed the carrying capacity?

Kenya's population went from 11 million in 1970 to 54 million today. Is that sustainable? Is the World Food Programme feeding deer in a vicious cycle?

Reply to
rbowman

You choose to believe that one paragraph in a work of fiction?

They don't do a good job of answering their own question. Saying 16% of the row crop tractors are less than five years old conveys no information about the other 84%. There are factors influencing the jump that aren't examined. Corn prices were up in 2012 and 2013 leading to optimistic purchasing. That led to a glut of used machinery and dealers couldn't give away used tractors. Because of covid, supply chain, yadayada the used market is up which may influence people to buy new if they can find one.

Overall, I'd say trading in your equipment every three years has the same odor and consistency as the rest of the bullshit in that article.

Reply to
rbowman

No. I'm poking fun at the original email. It obviously wants to PRETEND to be factual. So, I can use its "facts" in my counterargument. Let the original author dispute my alternatives without contradicting any of the "truths" he's claimed to have set out!

["Oh, they AREN'T replaced every three years? So, what other claims aren't factual? Is there such a thing as the "partnership farm" program with Deere? Is the farmer really in the Midwest? Is it really *corn* that he's farming? Is it really 10,000 acres? Are there really *5* combines? Does Deere really want him to go electric? In "2023"? Do they really run them 24 hours a day for 10-12 days? Does the weather "come in" around harvest time? Does the combine really way 25 tons? Is there really a *farmer*????!]

Yeah, one of the car companies claims X% of their cars are still on the road

10 years later. Does that mean X% of ALL the cars they have ever sold? etc.

Yup. You'll note that I labeled it as such in my first sentence! :>

Reply to
Don Y

Prosperous and educated human populations limit their own birth rates. Deer don't do that.

Reply to
jlarkin