FTL light and EM waves are invisible

Of course! Just look at MICRO$~1. ;-)

But really, why bother with math when you've got a machine right there that can do the math for you? ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I usually try to remind those people that you can't get a baby in a month by impregnating nine women. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

So, are you hiring? I could certainly do the work. I have experience as a tech writer, I understand electronics (~30 years as an electronics tech), and, having a hardware background, I understand how processors work, and I enjoy writing code, but I _do_ write code that's inherently bug-resistant, because I design it before I actually write it.

My email is at yahoo, with the username richgrise. (I would need a little advance help with the relocating and finding a domicile, etc.)

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Probably that he knew it was only a weekend's worth of work, so he milked it to the hilt.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Of course, Sylvia and everybody else does, Rich. Was that lude comment really necessary?

By the way, hows those ugly crooked teeth workin' out for ya?

Cheers to you, 2 John

Reply to
John - KD5YI

Ah, so that's probably why the idea was not well received - it was suboptimal. I've always wondered.

I haven't come out from under my rock long enough to be aware of that one. I think the last book of that sort (I'm guessing) that I read was The Mythical Man Month.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

No, Rich, I was replying to this one near the beginning of the thread:

What's that in kilometers, Rich, and how do you square that with Sylvia Else's post?

You're welcome, John

Note that you thanked whomever. Maybe you should cut down on the weed.

Reply to
John - KD5YI

Another problem is management who think that if you halve the funtionality of the user interface, it'll take half the time. I say "Look, you wanted an aircraft that carries 100 passengers to the USA built in a year. Now you're saying you're willing to accept just 50 passengers, but want it in six months. Life's not like that."

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

I'm still trying to figure out how big a metric pinch of salt is.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Four pinches is equivalant to just over 100mm.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

That's measuring a round-trip propagation delay. To infer a propagation speed requires the assumption that the speeds are the same in both directions. This is reasonable on theoretical grounds if the average speed is the speed of light. It is not if the average speed is anything else. It is particularly problematic if the transmitter and receiver are moving relative to each other.

In some frames in the FTL case (with or without relative motion of the transmitter and receiver) the signal can be received by the distant receiver before it is sent by the local transmitter, which would imply a negative propagation speed, whatever that means.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

If you do not transmit anything then you will not receive anything. There is no such thing as negative speed or negative distance.

Mathew Orman

Reply to
news.onet.pl

It appears that you're positing the existence of FTL communication without having an understanding of the ramifications implied by special relativity.

The events consisting of the transmission and reception of the FTL communication must be space-like separated, by definition.

It should be clear that dividing the distance (always positive) between the events by the time between them (can be positive, negative or zero) can produce a result that is more than the speed of light (time separation positive), less than than minus the speed of light (time separation negative), or infinite (time separation zero). Describing the result as a propagation speed is a bit of a stretch.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

With practice, some day you may be able to construct a proper sentence.

I notice that you never made it beyond General Class even though the FCC removed the code requirement. Is that a testament to your lack of math, mental ability, or just plain stupidity?

For me, the ham ticket was a convenience for doing research and testing. What's your excuse?

What whining? I'm not the one complaining.

You know, Jamie doesn't have the spunk to say that. I think you are DimmerBulb. You know, his dribble.

That's really quite trite, Maynard A. Philbrook KA1LPA. BTW, why do you call yourself Jamie? You must be the brother/lover/son/father/sister/whatever of NymNuts/DimBlub/Chieftan/OhSoManyOthers because you hide behind a nym just like your relative/double.

73, John
Reply to
John - KD5YI

C'mon, Jamie/Maynard/KA1PLA, relative/double means either relative or double. And you think I have inbreds? Hey, pot/kettle. Oops! You won't understand that. If you can read, try this:

No response about your inferior license grade, dimmy?

Reply to
John - KD5YI

I've seen situations where management didn't think any progress was being made, until the results just showed up, too.

Reply to
krw

"...AND you waited six months to tell me your requirements changed."

Reply to
krw

When I was in high school, the school board was making that exact argument to keep PLATO terminals out of the classroom.

Reply to
krw

Software journalism can be fun. I liked "Showstopper" amd "Dreaming in Code" too.

John

And you are a HAM radio operator? Must be one those that got their ticket using a disability clause, because you sure sound like you're coming up short in some departments.

Please take your whining elsewhere.

Glad too, open your mouth.

"Just for you:

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS."

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie