FTL light and EM waves are invisible

All Rich worries about is getting the signal to 'A van, down by the river'.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.

It requires investments as well but if 2 km FTL distance is demonstrated then there is no restriction to build a repeater chain around the World. The basic irrefutable demonstration is simply to transmit a 1ns pulse and measure it's speed of propagation using two antennas spaced by at least 3 meter distance in line with the direction of travel and placed at the distance normally defined as far field. Such antennas will sense the pulses and dual channel oscilloscope will show the relative delay. Single 1ns pulse of EM wave represents information and the 3 meter distance is sufficient enough to eliminate any group/phase velocity claims.

Mathew Orman

Reply to
news.onet.pl

This requires that both signals be brought back to the oscilloscope, with who-knows-what interactions. Any appearance of FTL operation will be attributed to the experimental setup. It's hardly irrefutable.

There's no information in a 1ns pulse if you know that there'll be a 1ns pulse. Try it with sequences consisting of a 1ns pulse followed either by another 1ns pulse or no pulse. That would be capable of transmitting information.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

I think you are confusing bandwidth with propagation speed.

1 ns single pulse represents an elementary information that can be interpreted as number one. But to satisfy your request, yes the transmitter can transmit serial data with baud or bit rates of 1GBit per second. The scope can compare pulse pattern delay based on detection of start bit as a trigger for the scope's time base generator.

Mathew Orman

Reply to
news.onet.pl

Therein lies the problem. When you get it - it's a one. But how do you represent a zero? By the absence of the pulse? But that only works if you know when it would have arrived if it had been representing a one.

You're not going to convince anyone using an oscilloscope. You need to show that you can transport information *provided by someone else* to another location to be verified *by someone else* in a time less than would be required by light to traverse the distance.

However, to avoid issues with clock synchronization, it's easier to show that it's been somewhere and back in less than the time required by light for the round trip - but you do have to show that it got to the far end before being sent back.

In some reference frames it will have arrived at the far end before it was sent, which is really awkward if you then decide not to send it. So a working FTL transmitter raises causality issues, which is why a demonstration has to be compelling.

Large claims require large evidence.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Well, the electronics engineers and physicists will disagree with you. But again to satisfy your requirement there is no restriction to setting up as a loop-back with digital transceivers at both ends. You can also modulate the 1GHz carrier using all known methods like FM, AM, FSK, etc. It will not affect the propagation speed but only make the measurement more difficult.

Mathew Orman

Reply to
news.onet.pl

Which ones?

It's not my requirement. I'm saying that you will not succeed in convincing people that the effect is real unless you can demonstrate that there is an actual transfer of information - not just pulses - in a way that is incompatible with light speed limits.

"propagation speed" ?

How can it have a propagation speed when the transmit and receive events don't occur in a defined order?

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

This is how:

Mathew Orman

Reply to
news.onet.pl

What does that comment have to do with me liking you or not?

I think you lack a sense of humor.. Something that is needing to get by in this world.. Sorry for you, that you don't have it.

And I don't go around using public forums to ask people, especially woman, to exchange info so that you can talk in private ( I can only assume Sylvia is a woman? ) .

Yes, the cat is out of the bag, you were seen. I think you should pick a difference place to do your prowling.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Smart move :)

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

I've found that getting my calculating is many times faster than booting up a PC/program to do it for me, unless it's going to be a long day at it.

I keep quick hard copy reference materials close by..

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Like your dark alley?

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

And I think you lack class and you don't know how to express your so-called humor in a gentlemanly manner. Since you don't know whether Sylvia is a woman how can you say I'm prowling? Unlike you, I'm straight.

Even if I were prowling, telling me to pick another place to do so carries as much authority as a net cop usually gets. None.

Piss off.

John

Reply to
John - KD5YI

Yeah, NymNuts, I am stalking intelligence and education, things completely unfamiliar to you.

Reply to
John - KD5YI

Yeah, but if I want the company to grow I have to get other people to do things. And I perfer to design electronics, not write code. I love to draw schematics, but for some reason I get depressed if I have to write code for more than a couple of weeks at a time.

I'm increasingly designing architectures and writing manuals and hassling with customers to get products defined, down to the function of every connector pin. Dirty job etc...

I noticed that effect long ago. The more detailed the planning of a project, the longer it takes.

Your statement was not properly thought out. He could have made coffee and fetched snacks and given back massages.

Did you read "The Soul of a New Machine"? The guy who was supposed to be writing the floating-point firmware procrastinated and fooled around for a year, then at the last minute did it all in one weekend.

John

That's the fun part of the job.

That depends on the complexity of the project and what you include in the scope of the project (how many failures, restarts, etc.). An ill-defined spec can easily doom a complex project.

Mythical man-month.

;-)

Didn't read it. What's the punch line.

Reply to
krw

20116.8 kilometers

Oh! OOOPPS! "Round Trip." My blunder. Anyway, Lord Google sez:

25 000 miles = 40 233.6 kilometers

Do you you remember when highway departments tried to go on a metric jag, and you'd see signs like, "Next exit 1/4 mile (402.3 meters)"

Wow! You've seen the future! ;-D

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Yeah, sorry - I guess my headbone elided the "round trip" part.

Of course, if you're talking about going right straight through the molten core, it's only about 16,000, but good luck laying that transmission line. ;-D

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I've met people whose feelings could be hurt by your use of the term "retarded" as an insult, but being some of the most loving people I've met, they'd probably forgive your boorish insensitivity and blockheaded obtuseness.

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

He probably does his "thinking" with his little head, if you know what I mean. ;-P

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise