From Arduino to Final Product

I work with software for some years, but I'm completely noob on electronics. For my FYP though, I will have to build a device that looks like a watch, containing a GSR sensor (Galvanic Skin Response) and a Bluetooth transmitter to send the sensor data to another device.

I found this option

but the cost is $ 2000.00 the piece.

The prototype can be made with Arduino and a Bluetooth shield, but once it's prototyped, I would like to transform it into a final product, using another micro controller like ARM or PIC. But the first question is: what will replace the Bluetooth shield?

The next question is: what I'll have to build and what I'll have to buy (eg. micro controller)?

Thanks for the help!

Regards, Guilherme

Reply to
Guilherme Utrabo

containing a GSR sensor (Galvanic Skin Response) and a Bluetooth transmitter to send the sensor data to another device.

2000.00 the piece.

prototyped, I would like to transform it into a final product, using another micro controller like ARM or PIC. But the first question is: what will replace the Bluetooth shield?

micro controller)?

Atmel Raven? The dev kit works nicely. We designed a smart power strip (with metering and switching per outlet) without much hassle.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Guilherme Utrabo wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

I saw a very nice circuit from NASA years ago, which very reliable and very low power transmitted a number of temperatures from an animal to a reciever outside a cage. The temperature was encoded in the "OFF" time of the transmittor, and the "ON" time of the transmittor was very short, and seperated the temperatures from each other. So make a oneshot with the skin voltage setting its time,~.1 to 1. sec, and a 20 micro second pulse, to tranmit a HF burst, something like 100MHZ,which can be very reliabley detected. The receiving computer needs only to measure the time. This can easely be extended to a multychannel system.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

containing a GSR sensor (Galvanic Skin Response) and a Bluetooth transmitter to send the sensor data to another device.

2000.00 the piece.

prototyped, I would like to transform it into a final product, using another micro controller like ARM or PIC. But the first question is: what will replace the Bluetooth shield?

micro controller)?

Would one of these make it easier:

Dennis

John,

Do you mean this one? If not, could you send the link?

ics.

, containing a GSR sensor (Galvanic Skin Response) and a Bluetooth transmit ter to send the sensor data to another device.

2000.00 the piece.

it's prototyped, I would like to transform it into a final product, using a nother micro controller like ARM or PIC. But the first question is: what wi ll replace the Bluetooth shield?

(eg. micro controller)?

Reply to
Guilherme Utrabo

Dennis,

Is is possible to > >

nics.

h, containing a GSR sensor (Galvanic Skin Response) and a Bluetooth transmi tter to send the sensor data to another device.

$ 2000.00 the piece.

it's prototyped, I would like to transform it into a final product, using another micro controller like ARM or PIC. But the first question is: what w ill replace the Bluetooth shield?

(eg. micro controller)?

Reply to
Guilherme Utrabo

One problem of this approach is that the sensor would work better below the fist, where it is easier to measure heart rate and there is less hair, like this:

Guilherme Utrabo

Here's the box we did. We built a bunch of these for a startup, for testing the concepts, with the intent to seriously productize it later. The box worked but the company didn't.

We used the Raven dev board in the prototypes. It has digital i/os, ADC inputs, LCD, Bluetooth, and comes with working starter code.

John

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Oh, that's Zigbee, and you want Bluetooth.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

ng the

d but

We have a similar idea, but probably just one outlet with plug-in adapter. They want multiple plugs all over the house anyway, so, multiple oulets at one place doesn't make much sense. Cost is the issue. It has to be less than $5 BOM.

nputs,

We use the Microchip Raven (PIC32MX/MRF24J40), but the RF circuit is tough to manufacture. Out of 10 prototype boards, 5 doesn't work with RF.

To OP: For watch size, you almost have to do direct die-bonding. Even QFN40 (MRF24J40) or QFN32(ATF86RF) are too big, not to mension the microcontroller and balun circuit.

Reply to
Edward Lee

the

but

inputs,

A bigger problem is that Galvanic Skin Response is mostly silly.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

--- Typical Larkinese attempt at self-aggrandisement by diss.

You posit with pretence to authority - as if your conjecture is fact - without issuing any proof that your conjecture is factual or that you _are_ an authority.

-- JF

Reply to
John Fields

I never knew that you were a Scientologist.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

You didn't? Stay tuned, he's just getting started!

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie