Free PC Oscilloscope Software Preferences ?

I am looking for a free oscilloscope program for the PC to run under Windows XP. Does anyone have any preferences ? It needs to be quasi-real....not just a toy, but it can be very simple. I have no need for spectrum analysis and single trace would suffice, but I do need a calibrated timebase, for example. So far what I have found does not meet my needs (time axis won't run slow enough, uncalibrated timebase, doesn't quite work properly on my computer....etc.).

Steve

Reply to
skavanagh72nospam

What is bandwidth required? There is good 'winscope' available free for frequencies upto 20Khz.

Reply to
psdayama

LOL what? An oscilloscope is hardware, what are you gonna do with software without hardware somewhere? What are you gonna scope with this program???? I mean you can download a free logic analyzer program, but without the hardware what's the use? Here's a free software that lets you control an oscilloscope...

So it's free, and then what??

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

Bandwidth required is whatever the sound card can provide....so 20 kHz is fine. But the WINSCOPE I have found (by Konstantin Zeldovich) is limited to a 50ms scan time. I want to measure time differences of up to at least 100ms so this is not adequate.

But thanks for your suggestion.

Steve

Reply to
skavanagh72nospam

Sound card !

That could be useful in some circumstances....any suggestions as to good ones (that don't use serial ports as it has to run on a modern notebook) ?

Steve

Reply to
skavanagh72nospam

Take a look at:

They claim to have sound card support, so it might be worth a look.

Don

Reply to
Don Cleveland

You can always use a USB to serial converter.

Reply to
OBones

Bush league amateur stuff! What probe can you use? What can you probe worth a damn with 20Hz-20KHz? Except audio itself?

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

Get real...

Sure, here's the free program. When you're ready, buy the logic analyzer and stop wasting time with bush league amateur stuff. It's your time to waste, but life is short.

a7yvm109gf5d1

That works very nicely for my current requirement. Hope it doesn't evaporate after 30 days or something !

Thanks, Don.

Steve

Reply to
skavanagh72nospam

Sometimes the bush league amateur stuff is all that is needed !

Thanks for the link.

Steve

Reply to
skavanagh72nospam

On a sunny day (30 Nov 2006 10:47:09 -0800) it happened snipped-for-privacy@netzero.com wrote in :

It should not be impossible to get a 100$ FPGA board, generate a VGA display, use a 100MHz flash DC and have 100MHz logic analiser / digital storage scope for little more then that plus the price of the probe and a few discrete components. Like for example here:

Jan Panteltje

100MSPS != 100MHz
Reply to
Clifford Heath

Thanks for the link - by sheer co-incidence I was also looking for something like that, and it looks like a good one too.

Reply to
ian field

Visual Analyser is free. Uses your soundcard as a scope, spectrum analyzer, audio signal generator, voltmeter etc. Scope has zoom, trigger, calibrate, screen capture and more.

Download at

Roger

Usual disclaimer - not affiliated wit author - just a satisfied user.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.ca wrote:

Reply to
sailtamarack

On a sunny day (Fri, 01 Dec 2006 08:44:07 +1100) it happened Clifford Heath wrote in :

OK But good enough for me.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Yes...that one looks pretty good for my needs too. Thanks.

Steve

Reply to
skavanagh72nospam