Flyback vs half-bridge

Spice voltage sources are infinitely powerful; wall warts aren't. Lots of switchers have soft-start, too.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

ut

I've got a copy of the second edition ISBN 0-07-052236-7

The chapter on magnetics is comprehensive, and even covers the skin effect, and the "proximity effect" which I've never heard of before. Pedagogically , it's rubbish - almost as bad as Snelling. The author assumes that the rea der understands the basics, and concentrates on the complicated detail.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I think the torture-test is powering up the wall wart and then plugging it into the box. There'll be the usual polyfuse, whose cold resistance helps a bit, and I suppose I could do something fancier like a resistor parallelled by a MOSFET controlled by the POR chip, but that's way too fancy for just a few watts.

It's really the 1N4148s or BAV99s or whatever little diode I use that will be the issue--the turn-on surge will divide between the main -15V reservoir cap and the charge pump caps more or less proportionally with the size of the caps (neglecting ESR and diode drops). So I may use a much bigger reservoir cap and smaller charge pump caps, followed by RC filters ahead of the cap multipliers. Alternatively, just putting 50 or

100 ohms in series with the charge pumps will protect them OK, and will only cost a volt or two.

It's better from a certification standpoint if the voltages inside the box never exceed 60V even in fault conditions, so I'll need to put zeners on the +-45V outputs, so that even with an out-of-spec input voltage and the transzorb at its upper spec limit, I don't get over 60V.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

That's what most books about advanced technologies do. If they didn't then most of the forests on this planet would be depleted by now :-)

But seriously, a person with lacking EE basics should not be designing switchers without first becoming proficient enough, that's something the pros should do.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

That's a buck. If you already have a -15V switcher in there, why not hook into that as you had outlined earlier?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I'm using it as an inverter, i.e. grounding the far end of the inductor and letting it pump its ground pin down to -15V. Works fine.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

That's what I was noticing... it's a switch current limit, not an output current limit. But probably safe. ...Jim Thompson

Yup. It's the inrush that tests your specifications ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Yes, that's the old MC34063 method. But watch out for noise and loop stability.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

You might want to reconsider and add soft-start to your "cartoon"....

Subject: Hobb's Cartoon (SED) - HobbsCartoon-with_CL.png Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 11:19:26 -0700 Message-ID:

Using the LM2594, you're sort of caught between a rock and a hard-place... large load (on LM2594) capacitor, huge peak currents on your add-on inverter, smaller capacitor... sag your 16V. ...Jim Thompson

Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net

--------------040407090803080109080400

Version 4
SHEET 1 1656 900
WIRE -784 48 -832 48
WIRE -656 48 -704 48
WIRE -624 48 -656 48
WIRE -576 48 -624 48
WIRE -368 48 -576 48
WIRE -288 48 -368 48
WIRE -64 48 -192 48
WIRE 80 48 -64 48
WIRE 176 48 80 48
WIRE 256 48 176 48
WIRE 272 48 256 48
WIRE 368 48 352 48
WIRE 448 48 432 48
WIRE 496 48 448 48
WIRE 656 48 560 48
WIRE 784 48 656 48
WIRE 800 48 784 48
WIRE 448 80 448 48
WIRE -832 96 -832 48
WIRE 656 96 656 48
WIRE 800 112 800 48
WIRE -368 128 -368 48
WIRE -272 128 -272 96
WIRE -656 144 -656 112
WIRE -64 144 -64 112
WIRE 160 144 -64 144
WIRE 336 144 160 144
WIRE 448 144 416 144
WIRE 80 176 80 48
WIRE 656 208 656 160
WIRE -368 224 -368 208
WIRE -272 224 -272 208
WIRE -272 224 -368 224
WIRE 800 224 800 192
WIRE -832 240 -832 176
WIRE 256 240 256 48
WIRE 272 240 256 240
WIRE 400 240 336 240
WIRE 400 256 400 240
WIRE -64 272 -64 144
WIRE 0 272 -64 272
WIRE 80 272 80 256
WIRE 80 272 64 272
WIRE 80 304 80 272
WIRE -64 352 -64 272
WIRE -64 352 -128 352
WIRE 400 352 400 336
WIRE 464 352 400 352
WIRE 544 352 464 352
WIRE 656 352 608 352
WIRE 800 352 656 352
WIRE 464 368 464 352
WIRE -128 384 -128 352
WIRE -64 384 -64 352
WIRE 656 400 656 352
WIRE 800 400 800 352
WIRE -800 416 -864 416
WIRE -672 416 -720 416
WIRE -864 432 -864 416
WIRE -672 448 -672 416
WIRE 464 448 464 432
WIRE -128 496 -128 448
WIRE -64 496 -64 464
WIRE -64 496 -128 496
WIRE -64 512 -64 496
WIRE 656 512 656 464
WIRE 800 528 800 480
WIRE -864 544 -864 512
WIRE -672 544 -672 512
WIRE -576 560 -576 48
WIRE 176 560 -576 560
WIRE 464 560 464 528
WIRE 464 560 176 560
FLAG 656 208 0
FLAG -832 240 0
FLAG 784 48 Out-
FLAG 656 512 0
FLAG 800 352 Out+
FLAG 80 304 0
FLAG -64 512 0
FLAG 176 48 Switch
FLAG 160 144 -15
FLAG 800 528 0
FLAG 800 224 0
FLAG -656 144 0
FLAG 176 560 Vin
FLAG -832 48 Vwart
FLAG -624 48 Vin
FLAG -864 544 0
FLAG -672 544 0
FLAG -672 416 Eff
SYMBOL ind2 64 160 R0
WINDOW 0 50 51 Left 2
WINDOW 3 60 86 Left 2
SYMATTR InstName L1
SYMATTR Value 150u
SYMATTR Type ind
SYMATTR SpiceLine Rser=0.2 Cpar=20p
SYMBOL cap 640 96 R0
SYMATTR InstName C1
SYMATTR Value 1u
SYMBOL diode 560 64 M270
WINDOW 0 42 32 VTop 2
WINDOW 3 -3 -7 VBottom 2
SYMATTR InstName D1
SYMATTR Value BAV99
SYMBOL voltage -832 80 R0
WINDOW 0 40 54 Left 2
WINDOW 3 -109 209 Left 2
WINDOW 123 0 0 Left 2
WINDOW 39 0 0 Left 2
SYMATTR InstName V1
SYMATTR Value PULSE(0 {Vraw} 100n 10n 10n 1)
SYMBOL cap 640 400 R0
SYMATTR InstName C2
SYMATTR Value 1u
SYMBOL diode 544 368 R270
WINDOW 0 32 62 VTop 2
WINDOW 3 -7 64 VBottom 2
SYMATTR InstName D2
SYMATTR Value BAV99
SYMBOL diode 448 432 M180
WINDOW 0 55 41 Left 2
WINDOW 3 39 0 Left 2
SYMATTR InstName D3
SYMATTR Value BAV99
SYMBOL diode 432 80 R0
SYMATTR InstName D4
SYMATTR Value BAV99
SYMBOL cap 432 32 R90
WINDOW 0 0 32 VBottom 2
WINDOW 3 32 32 VTop 2
SYMATTR InstName C5
SYMATTR Value 100n
SYMBOL cap 336 224 R90
WINDOW 0 0 32 VBottom 2
WINDOW 3 32 32 VTop 2
SYMATTR InstName C6
SYMATTR Value 100n
SYMBOL cap 0 256 M90
WINDOW 0 0 32 VBottom 2
WINDOW 3 32 32 VTop 2
SYMATTR InstName C4
SYMATTR Value 100u
SYMBOL schottky -80 112 M180
WINDOW 0 47 33 Left 2
WINDOW 3 24 0 Left 2
SYMATTR InstName D5
SYMATTR Value 1N5819
SYMATTR Description Diode
SYMATTR Type diode
SYMBOL res -80 368 R0
WINDOW 3 53 81 Left 2
SYMATTR Value {Load15}
SYMATTR InstName R2
SYMBOL pmos -192 96 M270
WINDOW 0 72 72 VLeft 2
WINDOW 3 -17 64 VLeft 2
SYMATTR InstName M1
SYMATTR Value Si9407AEY
SYMBOL voltage -368 224 R180
WINDOW 123 0 0 Left 2
WINDOW 39 0 0 Left 2
WINDOW 3 -269 -26 Left 2
SYMATTR Value PULSE(0 -10 .5u 10n 10n {6.6u*10.3/(8+Vraw)} 6.6u)
SYMATTR InstName V2
SYMBOL res -288 112 R0
SYMATTR InstName R4
SYMATTR Value 100
SYMBOL schottky -144 384 R0
WINDOW 0 -58 28 Left 2
WINDOW 3 -104 94 Left 2
SYMATTR InstName D6
SYMATTR Value 1N5819
SYMATTR Description Diode
SYMATTR Type diode
SYMBOL res 784 384 R0
SYMATTR InstName R1
SYMATTR Value 4k
SYMBOL res 784 96 R0
SYMATTR InstName R5
SYMATTR Value {LoadM45}
SYMBOL res 256 64 R270
WINDOW 0 32 56 VTop 2
WINDOW 3 0 56 VBottom 2
SYMATTR InstName R3
SYMATTR Value {Rsoft}
SYMBOL res 384 240 R0
SYMATTR InstName R6
SYMATTR Value {Rsoft}
SYMBOL res -800 64 R270
WINDOW 0 32 56 VTop 2
WINDOW 3 0 56 VBottom 2
SYMATTR InstName R7
SYMATTR Value 2
SYMBOL cap -672 48 R0
WINDOW 0 -26 61 Left 2
WINDOW 3 -19 87 Left 2
SYMATTR InstName C3
SYMATTR Value 47u
SYMBOL res 448 432 R0
WINDOW 0 48 38 Left 2
SYMATTR InstName R8
SYMATTR Value {Rsoft}
SYMBOL res 432 128 R90
WINDOW 0 0 56 VBottom 2
WINDOW 3 32 56 VTop 2
SYMATTR InstName R9
SYMATTR Value {Rsoft}
SYMBOL bv -864 416 R0
WINDOW 3 -37 169 Left 2
SYMATTR Value V=(V(out+)*I(R1)+V(out-)*I(R5)+V(-15)*I(R2))/(-V(Vin)*I(V1))
SYMATTR InstName B1
SYMBOL res -816 432 R270
WINDOW 0 32 56 VTop 2
WINDOW 3 0 56 VBottom 2
SYMATTR InstName R10
SYMATTR Value 1
SYMBOL cap -688 448 R0
WINDOW 0 -45 34 Left 2
WINDOW 3 -57 70 Left 2
SYMATTR InstName C7
SYMATTR Value 100u
TEXT 600 640 Left 2 !.tran 8mm
TEXT -120 632 Left 2 !.param Load15=100
TEXT -120 600 Left 2 !.param LoadM45=2.2k
TEXT 176 600 Left 2 !.MODEL BAV99 D IS=4.858E-9 N=2.038 RS=1.238 XTI=3
TEXT 280 -32 Left 2 ;Add this part to the -15V switcher
TEXT -72 -48 Left 2 ;Switcher
TEXT -72 -16 Left 2 ;External
TEXT -80 16 Left 2 ;Components
TEXT -272 360 Left 2 ;-15V Load
TEXT -488 -24 Left 2 ;LM2594 -15V switcher chip
TEXT -488 -64 Left 2 ;Toy model of the
TEXT 736 0 Left 2 ;-43-47V
TEXT 744 304 Left 2 ;+44-52V
TEXT -304 -144 Left 2 ;ADDING +-40V UNREGULATED SUPPLIES TO THE -15V SWITCHER
TEXT 608 -144 Left 2 ;7/18/13 PH
TEXT 152 632 Left 2 !.param Rsoft=10
TEXT -504 632 Left 2 !.step param Vraw 16 22 2
RECTANGLE Normal 96 544 -288 336 2
RECTANGLE Normal 112 336 112 336 2
RECTANGLE Normal -96 -64 112 320 2
RECTANGLE Normal -544 -96 -96 272 2
RECTANGLE Normal 720 544 240 -64 2

--------------040407090803080109080400--
Reply to
Phil Hobbs
[...]

Not sure what you did for this post but it came through as a file attachment. No copy - paste, just click it and open into LTSpice. Cool.

Alternatively you might be able to provide an over-voltage lockout. TL431 -> input goes above 18V -> pulls current -> robs current from enabling circuit that serves pin 5 -> switcher goes silent. Pages 29/30 in the datasheet:

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

P.S.: Didn't you mention you wanted to place cap multipliers at the 45V outputs? Then you could hang zeners off of the bases, which would limit things.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

In my boost-doubler, I just replaced a BAV23S with a couple BAT46W's, and picked up a bunch of efficiency.

In a 9-to-48 volt boost converter, I was seeing over 100 volt spikes at the fet drain, blamed on forward conduction delay in the PN diodes. The BAT schottkies clamp hard at 48.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

I used to do that on Supernews, but they now reject posts with attachments, even text. I got an eternal-september.org account as well, and they apparently allow attachments. Good news.

That's pretty sensible. I'm planning to have the processor control the

+-15V and HV supplies, but a bit of (inexpensive) belt and suspenders never hurts.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Nice part--like a 100V BAT54. That's a keeper.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

oK, Here is a duh question, When in LTSPICE, how do you save that top level *.asc file you show above?

Thanks, Harry

Reply to
Harry D

I don't think a wall-wart is going to look like 2 Ohms... it's going to be current limited... even if it is made in China ;-) ...Jim Thompson

There are a couple of methods.

(BTW you should get a real newsreader and a (free) Eternal September account--lots of people round here killfile anyone from Google Groups because of the spam and the zillions of blank lines.

).

If you have an eternal-september.org account, you can just use your mailer and attach the .asc file as you would any other file.

Otherwise, open the .asc file in a text editor, and cut-n-paste it into your post.

Mike Engelhardt understands the goodness of human-readable files!

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

The 2 ohms is the initial resistance of the polyswitch in the input protection network. Quite a lot of computer wall warts have a big cap at the output, leading to crackling sounds when you plug them into the back of the machine. Anyway, their current limits will be up in the 5A range, which is way above what my little switcher will allow through on a steady state basis.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs