Playing with Schottkey

I just got some SB540 Schottky diodes, those are about 40 V at 5 A. I was interested in the reverse leakage, as that can be high for diodes like this. So I made a simple test circuit, and was actually amazed how much it changes around room temperature. I mean from 7 uA at 25 C to 11.2 uA at 37 C (touching it). That is a LOT, and makes for a nice temperature sensor.

So I made this: + 9V + 9V | | | R 82 Ohm | | | k LED Schottkey SB540 | | a c -------------- b BC547B (beta around 300) e | ///

Nice fridge alarm :-)

Maybe better than a NTC in this temperature range?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Not to rain on your parade, but the world isn't particularly short of uncalibrated nonlinear temperature sensors.

..maybe put it in series with an LED for a 'hot enough to burn human flesh' warning?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

On a sunny day (Tue, 26 Apr 2011 08:50:34 -0400) it happened Spehro Pefhany wrote in :

Not to disagree, but I just calibrated it did not I?

Or global warming :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Not to be disagreeable, but your invaluable time calibrating it probably increased the cost to a large multiple of the cost of the raw part (15 cents?).

I wonder where we could stick them that would be sensitive enough?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Hello Jan,

This isn't strange,

The reverse current doubles each 8..10 K increase in temperature. Normally you don't notice this (as for PN junction diodes, leakage can mostly be ignored [many exceptions]), but in schottky rectifiers, low conduction loss results in high reverse current.

Wim PA3DJS

Wimpie

Jeez, next you're going to point out that using glass-encased diodes as photodetectors isn't exactly solving a pressing world problem either. :-)

Using LEDs as both a photo source and as a (rather lousy) detector to build bi-directional data links *is* cool, though.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

No, but using it that way inadvertently could cause problems, like causing an H-bridge to vaporize when you take a flash photograph of the controller. ;-)

It's cool. What interesting variations are there with different wavelength/color LEDs?

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany