Fluxgate magnetometer core

Nice little project in Circuit Cellar - kudos to the author - who made a 1-D fluxgate magnetometer using an ordinary ferrite toroid. He mentions that a material of high permeability was used because it's easy to saturate - keeps power requirements down.

I never studied magnetics, but I'd like to understand this more. Anyone care to point me to a tutorial or something that covers the material accurately but without too many incomprehensible mathematical symbols? Or just comment directly on the types of ferrite and what you can expect from them...?

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

The EPCOS - formerly Siemens - application notes are about as good as you can get, which doesn't make them all that easy to follow. this one might be a place to start.

Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to
bill.sloman

Thanks Bill, that's useful.