flu

That's the basic concern:

- It's an A/H1N1 strain, somewhat related to the one which caused the 1918 "Spanish Flue" three-wave pandemic (which also "started small", as do all pandemics), and

- It's novel: its coat protein structure is different enough from flu viruses to which people have previously been exposed, that it's unlikely that very many people have substantial immunity to it, and

- There is currently no vaccine effective against it, and

- It has shown itself capable of reasonably efficient human-to- human transmission. The good news is that so far, this particular strain's lethality isn't particularly high (except perhaps at its original focus in Mexico), and it does seem to be sensitive to two of the most common antivirals. I saw a report this morning which indicated that this strain seems to lack the specific mutation present in the 1918 strain which caused it to be as lethal as it was (triggering an immune overreaction which damaged the lungs of many of its previously-robust-and-healthy adult victims).

The bad news is that previous pandemics (e.g. 1918, and 1957 and 1958 if I recall correctly) also started out with a relatively mild first wave... followed by a second wave a few months later which had a much higher lethality rate among its victims... presumably due to a mutation in the virus population.

We can *hope* that this H1N1 strain doesn't mutate into a more dangerous form over the next year or so. If that's what happens, this incident may not turn out to be all that much worse than a typical bad year for a (non-novel) seasonal flu. It might blow itself out, as the SARS epidemic did a few years ago... that one never achieved pandemic status IIRC.

However, if it *does* mutate into a more dangerous form, as has occurred in several past pandemics, things could get very nasty... not just because it's more dangerous to patients, but because its genetic novelty means that most people will be susceptible to infection.

Given the strain's novelty, and its (albeit fairly distant) genetic relationship to the 1918 A/H1N1 strain, I don't think that the caution and concern being expressed by WHO and CDC is excessive, and I don't think it qualifies as a "distraction" on anyone's part. The

1918/1919 pandemic is now estimated to have killed 30-50 million people, worldwide... populations are higher now, infections can travel faster... it could get nasty.

Here's hoping it does not!

Dave Platt

On Apr 30, 8:46=A0pm, snipped-for-privacy@radagast.org (Dave Platt) wrote: [.... H1N1 flu ....]

fortunately, the US has, wisely, stockpiled some of the drugs. You may have heard the news about the Republicans opposing the funding. On the second try, they supported it. The funding did go through.

A major outbreak of the flu could turn the economy really nasty.

[...]

If we can get enough of the population immune and get everyone who feels sick to stay away from others, we can create selection pressure against it becoming more deadly. If it has to live in the host without making the host notice in order to get from one to another, there is strong pressure against it getting very deadly. If breading up to huge numbers and dumping lots of new virus works better the pressure is towards it becoming more deadly.

With luck very deadly is more than one mutation away from the current version so selection pressure will stop it from happening at all.

Reply to
MooseFET

MooseFET wrote:

Unfortunately, they are most effective if you administer them EARLY in the infection cycle. You also need a prescription to get them

--so there is a delay in getting an appointment, as well as a waiting room where you potentially spread the infection. This also ASSSuMEs you have insurance coverage under the American Patchwork System(tm).

...and we all know that in a bad economy everyone who feels a little bad will be staying home.

Reply to
JeffM

We're probably mostly talking past each other. Being a Roman citizen was different from being a resident of the city of Rome. Most soldiers in the Imperial era were obviously not natives of the city of Rome, but a great many were citizens (and the rest became citizens on being demobilized, iirc).

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

everywhere.

In war up to about 1900 decimated meant 1 in 10 survived. From latin roots deci "1/10". Decimal munbers.=20

Reply to
JosephKK

Looks like he got it ass backwards. It was a 90% death rate. Only a

10% survival rate. 1 in 3 is only a 30% death rate. 60% survival rate.
Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

contributing=20

there

infecting

No. It is bigger than that. WHO is being used as well. ;

Reply to
JosephKK

That may be what was commonly meant as "decimated", but the word means one-in-ten killed (fragged, actually), from the Latin "deci" = 1/10. Decimal numbers. As in, Romans. It was their word - they assigned the meaning long before 1900.

Reply to
krw

No. It means that one in ten LIVED. The rest were killed, hence decimated population, as in one in ten remained.

As in THEY (those that remain in "Decicity").

"Hey, did you read the news? The Hun decimated Decicity yesterday..."

That means that there were one tenth the population as before... decimated.

krw wrong again, as usual.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

ng

ere.

.."

Not according to Wikipedia -

It means "removal of a tenth".

kevin

Reply to
kevin93

Naturally. He's AlwaysWrong.

John

DimBulb is once again, as always, AlwaysWrong.

Reply to
krw

everywhere.

Well, google a bit before you make statements of fact, and you won't be so consistantly wrong. And don't snarl and curse so much, because that makes people want to put you down. And use your real name, because then people might treat you like a real person. Most

6-year-olds understand stuff like this.

In electronics (anybody remember electronics?) decimation can refer to reducing the number of samples in a sample set or a data stream. There's no specific fraction; it might be 2:1, 30000:1, or even

1.25:1.

The easy way is to throw away every Nth sample, decimation by N, but that's potentially tossing valuable signal-to-noise ratio and needlessly generating aliases where maybe there weren't any. It's a little better to do something like averaging those N samples. A more general approach is to stream the samples into a finite-impulse-response filter to do some weighted average of the data stream, and clock out at a lower rate than you clock in.

The output of a decimation filter can often have more usable bits of precision than the input.

John

Never heard the term used as such, though trading bandwidth for bits is fairly obvious.

Reply to
krw