Firefox 3.5

But it always irks me. PDFs often hide their size and if you discover that a file is umpteen megabytes and really not worth waiting that long there ought to be an abort function. Right now that is killing the tab or if no workie then CTRL-ALT-DEL. Not so nice.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

The stop function (ESC or toolbar button) should do this, but doesn't.

That's another reason why downloading with a dialog box is better though.

And it's one reason why, when I click on a downloadable file and I don't intend to use "save target", I often use "open in new tab". Then I can close it painlessly.

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Did you know that Firefox has a Download Manager Add-on ?:-)

If "umpteen megabytes" chokes you up, maybe a cable connection ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

I've had success with Process Explorer terminating applications and saving me from a reboot. It also shows me what is hogging the CPU. Art

Reply to
Artemus

Yes, but it doesn't always come on.

Got 1.2Mbit DSL, fast enuff. Cable would be probably 3-4x faster out here but they won't sell me that for a decent price unless I also take a cable package. Only over my dead body ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Oh, I don't need to reboot. It just kills Acrobat, something I must do half a dozen times on some days. I wish there was a hot key for CTRL-ALT-DEL ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

That's "normal" with Acrobat. In the same way that the check box "Don't show me this message again" usually does nada, zilch, nothing.

Yes. But in the heat of the game ...

Yes, I try to heed that as well but sometimes I accidentally click and milliseconds later I realize "Whoops, I shouldn't have done that".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

"John Larkin" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

I have an annoying problem with a pdf from UL, when I open it in foxit, it asks for a password. Views fine in Adobe.

Martin Riddle

Why _do_ you have so much trouble? Are you still running WFWG 3.1 ?:-)

Getting closer ;-)

...Jim Thompson

With professional class software I have zero trouble. It's just stuff like Acrobat or Windows itself that conks out all the time. My CAD never does, SPICE never does, etc.

When I heard about Billy Mays that can be a sobering reminder how close.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Or a new set of semaphore flags?

Michael A. Terrell

On my new laptop, I specifically installed Acrobat Reader 5. The v.8 that came with it was stupid.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

CTRL+T. Or CTRL+N for new window. Been there since...ever??

Who needs onscreen buttons when you've got a hundred of them at your fingertips :-)

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

I don't have "Reader", just the full Acrobat, but I use v4, v5 and v7, depending on what I need to do.

Bought the full suite eons ago (around $450 at the time :-(, when Japanese clients (Sanyo) could only cope with PDF documentation.

...Jim Thompson

Who needs a two handed operation when a click of the mouse (already in hand) does it. To each his own. Mike

Reply to
amdx

"Tim Williams" wrote in news:0N23m.2210$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe21.iad:

Heh,when you can't remember what they all are.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Two handed? My right hand is on my mouse and my left hand is on the left side of the keyboard. Just like when I hit CTRL+G to reply to your post here.

Maybe you haven't learned touch typing? I can type at up to 90 WPM, not that sheer rate is necessarily useful, but knowing where the keys are is very useful. I don't have to look or move my hands to reach most key combinations.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

sage

Get an old version of Acrobat. I found Acrobat version 5.0 on a video driver CD I used after recovering from a hard drive crash. (Good thing I had everything backed up on the USB drive huh... :) It's fast and it's small.

Michael

Reply to
Michael

Gave it a try. Unless I'm missing something, Foxit is missing one thing that I really like and use all the time in Acrobat 6: Dynamic zoom (without using the keyboard!)

Reply to
JW

They don't have to.

Have you tried any of those "adobe speedup" thingies? A quick google on 'adobe reader speedup, without quotes, turns up "about 977,000" hits.

I used one of them once, and it worked like a champ.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise