Favourite Test Equipment

Probably. You have got to run tests to be sure that the feature works before you can ship it to a customer, and the tests tkae time, cost money and don't always work. If only a few customers want it, it makes sense to sell to the cheaper spec and charge the customers who are prepared to pay for the extra performance.

Reply to
Bill Sloman

AFAIC, it *does* matter if the limitations are in hardware or software. In the case of scopes for example, good bandwidth don't come cheap! So if you're going to go to the expense of developing high bandwidth capability it just seems like self-mutilation to cripple all that hard work to produce an inferior product.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I think the passage of time has mellowed your recollections, John. Shortly after he died, you called him a crabby old man! There was something about you he clearly didn't much like. No idea why, since you've never come across as anything but well-mannered and helpful as far as I can tell. Jim gave me a hell of a rough time when I first arrived here back in '96. He didn't suffer fools gladly and boy did he let me know when he believed I was one. But that did me a huge favour. He did have a point inasmuch as my fundamental electronics knowledge needed a lot of remedial attention. So he forced me to sit down and go back through all the stuff I should have known before I came here and I became much better for it. And when I finally did, he praised me for it. Praise from Jim was praise indeed! He was a GIANT of this group and I miss him terribly, too.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Depends.

The value of a thing is what a willing buyer will pay for it in a free and stable market. (*) That has only an oblique connection with the BOM and engineering costs.

Then there are economies of scale. Parts get cheaper when you buy more of them, so if you build only your high-end model, the total BOM cost may well go down. Certainly the cost of engineering, testing, and inventory will go down.

Keeping inventory of finished goods down also reduces business risk and tax liability, because most companies have to pay taxes as though it was already sold. (There are probably tax advantages to keeping inventory of nearly-finished goods instead.)

So there are lots of reasons to sell what some customers might regard as crippleware.

That being said, I don’t think it immoral for folks to figure out how to unlock the other features. It’s not that hard to prevent, if you really care to.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

(*) Yes, there are issues with the time-dependence of actual markets, but then honesty and fair dealing are themselves valuable.)

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

We all remember all sorts of stuff about Jim, much of it very good. He certainly raised the technical level here, which I for one miss very much.

For the remainder, it’s best to follow the good old rule of not speaking ill of the dead (or of the living, mostly). We stand or fall by what we make of what we’re given, which is well worth keeping in mind.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

From what I am seeing on the Internet there are some scopes that the software limits them but to get the full bandwidth some components need to be changed. I bought a China function generator and while it does not have a software upgrade there are several components to be changed that make it function better at higher frequencies.

I heard some cars have functions that can be turned on and off remotely so they can charge you yearly.

The sat and cable TV is like that . The equipment is the same but they only enable the channels you pay for.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Well, you're a great deal more equable than Jim was, despite the BMD, John. I found getting excoriated by Jim gave me the impetus I needed to get off my arse and engage in some serious study on the subject. He did me a huge favour as it was exactly the motivation I needed. I discovered I wasn't as accomplished at electronics as I thought I was. He put me in my place. My strengths lie in other areas and none of us can excel at everything. I'll never be a designer. I'm just a hobbyist and will ever remain one. But that's fine, because all the time I find it a challenge, I'll be hooked. I quickly lose interest in subjects that I find easy to master.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

+100

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Probably Maxwell. :) I have a similar problem with the sig gen I posted about here recently. Having sorted out the PSU issue, it's working great - except for..... (there's always a problem of some sort).. The RF power output level changes with the output power setting - but not in the way it ought to. I'm pretty sure relays are the problem here, because as I'm winding up the power out and passing from -144dbm to +13dbm, I can hear various relays clunking in and out and the power out goes nuts when certain relays are switched-in. Most probably just dirty contacts I would guess, but getting at the area concerned to investigate is a huge PITA. :(

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

**In my 55 years of servicing, I've only blown up one thing: A Micronta DMM, which I connected to a laser power supply. I should not have done it. Clear operator failure. Everything else works just fine. Even my first multimeter. A Sanwa U-50D my dad gave me on my 14th birthday. Still works fine. My first DMM. A cheap 'n cheerful SOAR. Works just fine. My first Fluke meter. A 40 year old Fluke 85. Works fine. I've had to clean the switch a few times. Otherwise, no problems. Ditto my other 15 or so meters. Same deal with my 'scopes.

I don't know what your problem is. Test equipment, when treated properly lasts a long time.

Reply to
Trevor Wilson

There was a cool book, "A Boy And A Battery"