favorite temp sensors

Can your FLIR output an array of the temperatures for further analysis?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

It can save images, and you can measure every pixel on a PC.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

nce

of

es

the

Go

Whenever you pay for a "interchangeable glass-encapsulated thermistor", as I recommended earlier in this thread. I don't know when Yellow Springs Inst ruments first introduced them, but I got told about their parts in 1974, an d other people jumped an that particular band-waggon early on. I've bought Betatherm parts from Farnell which are just as tightly specified.

You probably don't know about that kind of stuff - thermistors don't seem t o be susceptible to integration onto silicon.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

recommended earlier in this thread. I don't know when Yellow Springs Instruments first introduced them, but I got told about their parts in 1974, and other people jumped an that particular band-waggon early on. I've bought Betatherm parts from Farnell which are just as tightly specified.

susceptible to integration onto silicon.

What do you have to pay for 0.1% thermistor interchangeability?

BTW... my chopper-stabilized thermistor apparatus made with Germanium devices... 51 years ago...

...Jim Thompson

recommended earlier in this thread. I don't know when Yellow Springs Instruments first introduced them, but I got told about their parts in 1974, and other people jumped an that particular band-waggon early on. I've bought Betatherm parts from Farnell which are just as tightly specified.

be susceptible to integration onto silicon.

IC temperature sensors are all crap. Every single one, AFAICT--none that I know of claims accuracy better than 1 degree C, even the trimmed ones. Why would that be, if it's so fundamental?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Jon, I'm going to have to reread some of that. But I've got some data for a TIP31C. (Shipped out a month ago.) The transistor is at the end of a ~12" cable and 18" SS probe. The to220 tab is stuck to a hunk of copper at the bottom of the probe. Here's the forward voltage vs current. I list the temperature as 297.75K There's a FET opamp with a DC offset of -0.30mV

I(uA) V(mV) delta

0.01 243.365 63.42 0.1 306.785 60.82 1.0 367.606 59.91 10 427.519 59.50 100 487.020 59.57 1k 546.590 61.40 10k 607.986

The delta's are that current minus the one below. The measurement were just taken in room air.. no control, and the temperature drifted up (voltage down about 20uV) during the measurment.

I get a T of 299.6K at the lowest voltage difference.

Oh.. it's a 1/2 kelvin connection... there's just one ground lead and two leads for current and voltage to the emitter.

I think I did better with a 2N3904.. except it had more resistance.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

ed text -

How much is an FLIR?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

:
,

nes...

ave

ared

stance

ion of

times

of the

e.  Go

-

as I recommended earlier in this thread. I don't know when Yellow Springs I nstruments first introduced them, but I got told about their parts in 1974, and other people jumped an that particular band-waggon early on. I've boug ht Betatherm parts from Farnell which are just as tightly specified.

m to be susceptible to integration onto silicon.

I think we buy 0.2 degree C thermistors from YSI for a few bucks each.... (no more than $5)

George H.

    ...Jim Thompson
      |    mens     |
    |     et      |

ide quoted text -

Reply to
George Herold

s...

ve

red

tance

n of

imes

of the

.  Go

-

, as I recommended earlier in this thread. I don't know when Yellow Springs Instruments first introduced them, but I got told about their parts in 197

4, and other people jumped an that particular band-waggon early on. I've bo ught Betatherm parts from Farnell which are just as tightly specified.

eem to be susceptible to integration onto silicon.

     ...Jim Thompson

t -

Still, A sensor that's got 'built in' calibration to ~1% is kinda nice. (and it costs a dime or two.)

I've got data for 77K.. I think I had a ~+2 degree error there too.

(I guess it can't be a beta error, cause that would be in the other direction.(?) It's the dreaded 'non-ideality factor', which last time we checked had something to do with recombination in the base.. IIRC)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

lines...

resistance

of

times

the

 Go

recommended earlier in this thread. I don't know when Yellow Springs Instruments first introduced them, but I got told about their parts in 1974, and other people jumped an that particular band-waggon early on. I've bought Betatherm parts from Farnell which are just as tightly specified.

be susceptible to integration onto silicon.

0.2°C accurate at one temperature, or over the whole span?

[snip] ...Jim Thompson

resistance

the

 Go

I recommended earlier in this thread. I don't know when Yellow Springs Instruments first introduced them, but I got told about their parts in 1974, and other people jumped an that particular band-waggon early on. I've bought Betatherm parts from Farnell which are just as tightly specified.

to be susceptible to integration onto silicon.

I don't know of a single commercial unit that uses the ratiometric current method, they're all PTAT's, some trimmed, some not.

...Jim Thompson

:

ld

uph,

as

lines...

leave

repared

esistance

nction of

ad a

le times

an

ce of the

ne.

lace. Go

ul -

ly

", as I recommended earlier in this thread. I don't know when Yellow Spring s Instruments first introduced them, but I got told about their parts in 19

74, and other people jumped an that particular band-waggon early on. I've b ought Betatherm parts from Farnell which are just as tightly specified.

seem to be susceptible to integration onto silicon.

    ...Jim Thompson
      |    mens     |
    |     et      |

ide quoted text -

Over some span around room temp. Maybe 0 to 60C.. you can pay more and get better specs.

It's totally worth it for us. I use them for diode laser thermal control, diodes are measured in my setup, but will then 'work' in everyone else's.

(I measure wavelength at one temperature.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

h,

ines...

leave

epared

sistance

tion of

d a

e times

an

ce of the

ne.

ace. Go

ul -

ly

or", as I recommended earlier in this thread. I don't know when Yellow Spri ngs Instruments first introduced them, but I got told about their parts in

1974, and other people jumped an that particular band-waggon early on. I've bought Betatherm parts from Farnell which are just as tightly specified.

t seem to be susceptible to integration onto silicon.

Jim, I'm confused (or just ignorant again).. I thought PTAT's used the current ratio trick.

George H.

ext -

    ...Jim Thompson
      |    mens     |
    |     et      |

ide quoted text -

Reply to
George Herold

te:

ould

stuph,

has

IO lines...

rs leave

prepared

resistance

function of

load a

iple times

n an

ence of the

one.

place. Go

eful -

ably

or", as I recommended earlier in this thread. I don't know when Yellow Spri ngs Instruments first introduced them, but I got told about their parts in

1974, and other people jumped an that particular band-waggon early on. I've bought Betatherm parts from Farnell which are just as tightly specified.

t seem to be susceptible to integration onto silicon.

    ...Jim Thompson
      |    mens     |
      |     et      |

PS Sorry, just thinking about how important voltage references are to the whole signal chain.

Geo

Reply to
George Herold

recommended earlier in this thread. I don't know when Yellow Springs Instruments first introduced them, but I got told about their parts in 1974, and other people jumped an that particular band-waggon early on. I've bought Betatherm parts from Farnell which are just as tightly specified.

susceptible to integration onto silicon.

Both YSI and Betatherm were acquired by Measurement Specialties about seven years ago.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

lines...

leave

prepared

resistance

of

times

of the

Go

as I recommended earlier in this thread. I don't know when Yellow Springs Instruments first introduced them, but I got told about their parts in 1974, and other people jumped an that particular band-waggon early on. I've bought Betatherm parts from Farnell which are just as tightly specified.

seem to be susceptible to integration onto silicon.

-

quoted text -

Different ratio. PTAT's generate a voltage that indeed is ratio'd by using two devices of differing areas, thus different current _densities_.

The Jim Williams' technique, using resistors and adapted by me to use current sources, uses the same device, "measured" at two carefully ratio'd currents.

The PTAT effect depends on lots of other variables as well.

I'll dredge thru my files and find one I can show. ...Jim Thompson

as I recommended earlier in this thread. I don't know when Yellow Springs I nstruments first introduced them, but I got told about their parts in 1974, and other people jumped an that particular band-waggon early on. I've boug ht Betatherm parts from Farnell which are just as tightly specified.

m to be susceptible to integration onto silicon.

Newark sells a +/0.2C part for $9.57, 1-off Newark Part Number: 10M5351, Fenwall (Honeywel) Part No: 192-303QET-A01

The Betatherm part, also +/0.2C costs $4.79 1-off Newark Part Number: 93K19

90 Betatherm part no.:1K2A1B

Thermometrics do a +/-0.1C part for $8.18 Newark Part Number: 65J5900 but it's on special today for $5.43 (1-9)

Terrible circuit diagram, not that American schematics from that period wer e ever much better. I'd have to redraw if before I could make any sense of it.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

That was true a few years ago, but the ADT7320 has quite impressive specs- +/-0.2°C from -10 to 85°C with a 3V supply and +/-0.25°C from

-20 to 105°C with supply +/- 10%.

Nasty package for field use, of course, and it's going to measure it's own temperature rise, and not particularly cheap (>$5 in q100), but it does include its own ADC. I'd worry about the solder fatiguing if it saw a lot of cycling.

I've recently designed in a similar TI part with specs about twice as bad, but still quite good (+-/ 0.5°C, IIRC)and I didn't care very much about the absolute temperature- it was for compensation, so trimming was built into the process).

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

:
:

te:

uld

tuph,

has

O lines...

rs leave

prepared

resistance

unction of

load a

iple times

in an

dence of the

e one.

place. Go

seful -

bably

istor", as I recommended earlier in this thread. I don't know when Yellow S prings Instruments first introduced them, but I got told about their parts in 1974, and other people jumped an that particular band-waggon early on. I 've bought Betatherm parts from Farnell which are just as tightly specified .

on't seem to be susceptible to integration onto silicon.

nium

mmed

text -

uoted text -

    ...Jim Thompson
      |    mens     |
    |     et      |

ide quoted text -

Ahh, got it thanks. I must have read the Jim Williams app note.. I remember the baby bottles.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

lines...

leave

prepared

resistance

function of

times

of the

place. Go

-

thermistor", as I recommended earlier in this thread. I don't know when Yellow Springs Instruments first introduced them, but I got told about their parts in

1974, and other people jumped an that particular band-waggon early on. I've bought Betatherm parts from Farnell which are just as tightly specified.

seem to be susceptible to integration onto silicon.

-

quoted text -

Not Jim Williams.

and