Favorite electronics movies

Money.

Reply to
Richard Henry

IIRC a FET. However, materials problems would have prevented it working.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

Not legally in this country without a subpoena.

First, everyone knows about that capability. Years ago, even the stupid terrorists started using code words or euphemisms for the actual terminology. Second, the conversations of interest are most probably in Arabic (one of a number of dialects), Farsi, Pashtun, etc. The FBI, CIA nd NSA lack the language expertise to parse even the targeted intercepts, let alone those caught by such a wide net.

That this technique is being used suggests that it is being used against US residents for entirely different purposes than combating terrorism.

Yes. Its illegal.

Maybe, maybe not. But spending time and money looking for p*rn and closing strip clubs isn't going to stop that from happening. Read the

9/11 Report about where the intelligence shortcomings are: They are in data analysis, not collection. The CIA and FBI need better tools to parse what they legally collect, not get swamped with more data. They'd be better off throwing the con artists off the FBI IT upgrade project and hiring somebody competent, for example.
Senior staff curmudgeon.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Actually, the movie "Frankenstein" had very little to do with the book. Anyone ever actually read "Frankenstein, The Modern Prometheus" by Mary Shelly? I have, and I loved it.

The "monster" only gets referred to as the "creature", and parts of the story are told from his POV - loneliness, rejection, and getting blamed by his maker for not getting made right.

It's scary, but not monster-movie scary - more like psychodrama scary.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

One cute thing I noticed about that satellite is that as it's trundling past the (stationary) camera in orbit, the sound FX was "Beep-bip-beep-bip, beep-beep-bip-beep" AKA "CQ" in Morse Code. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

their

Yeah, and if you believe that, I've got a neat bridge for sale. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

--
"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Pogo Possum
Reply to

opposed

into

their

Yeah, they keep saying, "We're at WAR!!!" But when I ask them "So can someone please show me that declaration of war?" they fall strangely silent.

Cheers! Rich

--
"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Pogo Possum
Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

Schedules are worked out way in advance.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

The man sure can give a concise answer.

Reply to
JeffM

Not even on her best day.

JeffM

Dirk Bruere at Neopax wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

and for the US side of the declaration;

read down to the "Authorization for the Use of Military Force".(AUMF)

The article is mainly about the current US-Foreign "surveillance" brouhaha.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Rich Grise wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@example.net:

Or some sort of flash memory card;SD,Compact Memory....

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

"Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@Hovnanian.com:

Do you think that FISA overrides the Constitution? I don't. Clinton didn't,either.

I'd say this guy's qualifications indicate he knows what he's talking about.

And we ARE "officially at war" right now.

(how DOES one declare war against a non-nation/state or multinational terror group? Congress authorizes use of military force.) (military force being an "act of war".)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
kua.net
Reply to
Jim Yanik

"Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@Hovnanian.com:

read this;

About FISA.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Thank you, I guess. I am a fan of Calvin Coolidge, known for such famous speeches as "Sin...He's ag'in it", "You lose', and "Ash".

However, allow me to elaborate a bit on the "Money" comment. It's not that the politicians are weak or greedy (at least not all of them), but under the current electioneering system, if they don't accept money, they won't have money to spend, and they won't get elected. Therefore the campaign fund abuse is built into the system.

There are exceptions. The entire time I lived in Vermont, George Aiken was in the Senate. He accepted almost no campaign contributions, but didn't need them - his last campaign expenditure report (1968) was $17.09. The Democrats eventually just yielded and nominated him as their candidate also.

Reply to
Richard Henry

Which part of the Consitution did you have in mind?

Citing one criminal does not excuse another.

Reply to
Richard Henry

This is just more bullshit propaganda fluff.

I want to see the document that says, "In Congress, on , it has been resolved that the United States shall be in a state of war with ."

Can you find me one of them?

If not, then George W. Bush is a criminal, plain and simple.

Thanks, Rich

--
"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Pogo Possum
Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

Please cite the specific declaration of war.

In both Afghanistan and Iraq, we are (supposedly) acting under the authority of the UN Security Council.

Matter cannot be created or destroyed, nor can it be returned without a
receipt.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

That still doesn't excuse going beyond what the Patriot act authorized. The administration actually asked for more powers than were granted by the act and congress specifically said, 'No'. So they are intentionally violating congressional intent.

It'll be a real shame if they lose the capabilities that they have been granted at present by abusing them.

If you can\'t beat them, arrange to have them beaten.
                                -- George Carlin
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Conducted illegal espionage? Not likely, or Ken Starr wouldn't have had to pursue the blow job angle against Clinton.

That's a weapon that's effective against someone who violates the tax code. If Cinton's enemies were particulary vulnerable to this sort of attack, maybe they deserved it. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

There are only 10 kinds of people in this world,
those who understand binary and those who don\'t.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.