basics of electronics

Why does the electrons move from one orbit to the next orbit? what is the radius of the electron,proton and neutron? conductivity of electrons in various liquids?

Reply to
BBC

Why do people ask physics questions on electronics newsgroups?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

** Cos the word "electronics" has two meanings, depending on context.
  1. A branch of physics.
  2. A branch of engineering.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

If this isn't in your textbook, then you might have to go to the school library or ask the teacher.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

According to my vernier calipers from Harbor Freight, something under 2mm.

Reply to
Cmplx80

because energy has been added or removed.

that is so small that it has never been measured. it is a point compared to modern tools for measuring it.

proton and neutron?

.000000000000001 meter

pure water has a conductivity of .0000000003 cm ohm

mercury has a conductivity of 200000 cm ohm.

Reply to
Globemaker

correction made above, instead of cm ohm, use the reciprocal, 1 / ( ohm cm)

this link gives better values for liquids

Reply to
Globemaker

--
So the "conductivity" of electrons changes depending on what fluid
they're in?

--
???

Electron radius ~ 2.8e-13cm
Reply to
John Fields

No, that's the "classical electron radius",

which has essentially no physical significance whatever. Quarks and leptons (i.e. electrons, muons, taus, and their respective neutrinos) are still treated as quantum 'point masses' in the Standard Model, i.e. their wave behaviour isn't modified by any internal structure.

(String theorists and other fantasy writers may have a different opinion, but they have zero data to back it up AFAIK.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

It's kind of hard to imagine one electron having anything like "conductivity," but en masse, the conductivity of some bulk substance would depend on the mobility of the electrons.

Hmmm - it's a good thing I checked before hitting "send" - I guess an electron beam has some kind of conductivity, but I'm pretty sure it takes more than one electron to make a "beam." :-)

I've never been able to figure out how the positive conventional current knows exactly which pixel to leap out of to follow the exact path through the deflection plates or coils to land precisely on the tip of the field-emission cathode. ;-D

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

--
It doesn't.

That's a myth that's been propagated since the days of Benjamin
Franklin, when he postulated that electricity was positive in nature.
Reply to
John Fields

Why does the electrons move from one orbit to the next orbit? what is the radius of the electron,proton and neutron? conductivity of electrons in various liquids?

Why don't you look it up. Go to a library and get a physics book. When an electron moves from one orbit to a lower energy orbit it emits a photon.

Electrons may or may not be conductive, I'm not sure, an element can be conductive. Electrons just have a negative electric charge and when electrons move(they don't actually move far, just transfer their charge to the next adjacent electron), it's called current. Metals have free electrons in a valence orbit, meaning that they can be moved and current can flow in the material.

Shaun

Reply to
Shaun

According to Planks Quantum theory,what is the radius of electron?

Reply to
BBC

You really need to learn to Google.

Putting your question: "Planks Quantum theory,what is the radius of electron"

reveals the answer in the first hit.

btw: length is always in meters when you read scientific documents. And of cause Light years in astronomics.

--
pim.
Reply to

Do you need to refill your prescription for your irony medicine? ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise