Flash erasing times

Does age affect the erase time for Flash memory ?. I have a batch of identical chips, some erase is 6 seconds other take 15 (datasheet specifies

10).
Reply to
Richard Hutchinson

I wouldn't expect much effect as a strict function of age, but I would expect that as the part is subjected to many erase cycles, they would start to take longer.

I think manufacturing variation between lots could account for quite a bit of variation.

But I'm not an expert on this stuff.

Reply to
Eric Smith

Be careful with datasheets. Is 10 sec specified as guaranteed maximum erase time at a specific Vdd and temperature or is 10 the nominal?

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Yes

I'll take it the one's with erase times of 15+ seconds are probably coming to the end of their life.

Reply to
Richard Hutchinson

Not necessarily. If they don't spec a guaranteed maximum erase time, there's probably a reason. A time of 15 secs could very well be within the process variation for a part right off the manufacturing floor.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to