Fairchild CD4050BC VIL Typ vs Max

Looking at datasheets such as this one, I don't understand why the Typical VIL often shows up higher than the "Maximum". At first I thought it was a typo, but I've seen this in other datasheets also.

For a specific example in this datasheet:

LOW Level Input Voltage (CD4049UBC Only) VDD= 5V, VO= 4.5V

For +25C Typical 1.5 Maximum 1.0

What am I missing?

Warren

Reply to
Warren

The low level input voltage can typically go up to 1.5V while leaving the output looking as if it is looking at a "low" voltage.

The maximum input voltage which is guaranteed to leave the output looking as if it is looking at a "low" voltage is rather lower.

"Typical" in this case is "when it mostly happens". "Max" is "when it never happens".

Data sheets are bit formulaic, and you have to keep in mind what they are trying to tell you.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Ah yes, I see it now.

This much I understood. I wasn't thinking clearly about the "typical" case.

Thanks

Reply to
Warren