Extracting PCB strays from CAD

Hi, all,

Simon and I are doing a fast avalanche photodiode front end for an OEM customer. We have a good existing solution, but it needs to go a bit faster (500 vs 250-300 MHz). That's a challenge in a highish-Z circuit, so I need to make sure to include realistic strays in the simulation.

It seems as though somebody might have written a tool to extract parasitic L and C values from a PCB layout, but I'm not immediately finding one.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

We have used Sonnet Lite to analyze arbitrary geometries when the simple things like Saturn weren't enough.

Reply to
jlarkin

Phil Hobbs snipped-for-privacy@electrooptical.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@electrooptical.net:

I think there are programs which are made to examine and design circuits like phased array radars, etc. that do such types of analysis. Very expensive stuff though.

Siemens CAD package Solid Edge now does PCB layout. They may have some analytics incorporated, but I do not have that version yet and still only do mechanicals with mine. But they have done PCBs now for a few years in their same CAD package. They also have machine wiring layout, which is where it got started. It is a very comprehensive CAD package with FEA, etc. so their layout tools may have some analytical functions incorporated.

Are there not also other solutions to examine? If it only 1 to 4 layers, you could use 0.032.

Another alternative would be a ceramic or alumina substrate or such.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Actually, at 500 MHz on a small board, only capacitance (and its df) should matter. One wavelength is 2 feet.

Reply to
jlarkin

Yes, but I forget the name. But any 3D EM FEM modeler program will do.

As Larkin mentioned, at 500 MHz, you can still use lumped-component models, not needing solution of PDEs.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

Calculating node capacitance could still be tricky, with shapes and fringing and layers and vias and such. Bootstrapping makes it more interesting.

Reply to
jlarkin

It's using microwave transistors.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

There are method-of-moments codes that can do it with no big issue, such as FastCap and FastHenry.

I just found

, which claims to read Gerbers and talk to FastCap and FastHenry.

We shall see.

Thanks

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

The problem there is getting device models, especially lead inductances.

Reply to
jlarkin

Yup. Fortunately Avago published really detailed package models, so I just use those.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs