Shemactic & PCB CAD

Hello,

I need to replace my old and trusty PCB CAD software. So I am looking for alternatives and seek for the group suggestions. Someone recommended "Altium Designer". This may be a good software, but it is much too complex for my simple needs. That program is mostly group project oriented, while I am working alone and I only need the Schematic & PCB design section. I need a good software that support multilayer, import & export from/to DXF, and produce the complete set of CAM gerbers and production files (like Pick & Place, Router & Drill, etc). Please let me know what appear to be the most popular.

Bye

--
Jacques
Reply to

It is free so it is worth seeing if Kicad meets your needs.

Reply to
Raveninghorde

it

&

DXF,

ick

If you are into Linux at all, you might also look at the gEDA project

It is just as free, and it is a real open source electronic design automation project with an active group of developers still working on it.

Because it is written by people who can write their own Linux software, the user interface does assume a tolerably sophisiticated user, and there have been comments that .the learning curve is steep, but it does seem to offer a pretty comprehensive package of services.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

&

XF,

ck

We started using EAGLE a few years ago (When our other software went belly-up). As always the interface took a bit to get use to, but now I like it. I think they have a free trail version that gives you 100 pins or so.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

This is free. It's bootable (test drive it without installing anything) and it contains 2 ECADs (both have been mentioned):

*-*-*-computer-hardware-independent+inc+inc+inc+*-*-the-leader-*-*-in-*-opensource-EDA-*&strip=1#Scope
?Frev=1e4bef319b6fc1ddcb294bb8ffd0f7896a4482ba+Revision.Log+geda+240+239+238+kicad

Cadsoft EAGLE is now infected with DRM: It can leave your work product locked and unusable.

JeffM

Why? What is lacking in your old software that you want the new software to do?

Forget about it being "too complex", that's just silly. You can simply use it like any other ECAD software, i.e. File-New-PCB etc. You only have to touch the more advanced features if you need them. Altium is not just "group project oriented", in fact most users use it standalone just like you need.

Altium is very popular. How much do you have to spend? If you are looking around the $2K+ level then Altium Designer in an excellent choice. If you can't afford that much then you have to consider lower priced packages like Eagle, or the free ones mentioned.

Dave.

http://www.eevblog.com
Reply to
David L. Jones

I don't agree. I have made 2 projects with Altium and I must say Altium is not very intuitive / easy to use. I really needed the manual to get going. That almost never happens to me. A lot of stuff is hidden in many menus. You also need a fast PC to run it.

I recommend to get a fully functional demo and make a small project with Altium before deciding to buy it.

                     "If it doesn\'t fit, use a bigger hammer!"
Nico Coesel