ExpressCard (AKO PCMCIA) to //

I've just received an eval board that's driven through a // port (what do they think?)

Now my first thought went to USB->// adapter, but this doesn't work (antique SW and proprietary driver).

Before I commit to find some 2nd hand PC with a genuine //port, I thought I coud give a try to an ExpressCard //port adapter.

Googling the hell out of this I found that not all cards are recognised as genuine //port and some are enumerated as USB device. Groan...

Someone with experience about this that can tell me which chipset (or card model) is seen as a real //port?

--
Thanks,
Fred.

The IBM Monochrome/Printer card works great. You do have to add a jumper wire to make it bidirectional, but I've done a bunch of those and have the directions someplace.

Or were you looking for something more recent? ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

(Former owner of a box of hacked monochrome/printer cards, now reduced to FTDI USB-serial for m)

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

You'll need a PCI card. The SIIG cards usually work. Don't know about PCI-e

Martin Riddle

Ah. Humor.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

When you've been spending your time reading depositions, redacted DOD contracts, expert reports, and patents both turgid and maddeningly repetitive, anything is a help. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Having written proposals and nastygrams all week, yes.

Pity you can't bit-bang USB parallel ports. More and more, x86 chips are electrically closed systems. They have DRAM, USB, and PciExpress interfaces.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

My laptops are essentially *only* used for this sort of thing (I seldom do work "away from my workstations" that doesn't involve some sort of "interfacing").

I've a 2.6GHz P4 with serial, parallel, USB, Type I/II PC Card,

3" floppy, DVD-RW, VGA, TV-Out (SVideo), firewire, v.90/92 modem, 10/100 ethernet, headphone/microphone, PS/2 keyboard/mouse, WiFi. It covers most of the "interfacing" needs that I face -- but it's heavy (about 7-8 pounds!). And, no BT or HDMI (I can usually work around these by using one of the tablet PC's -- equally portable)

I've a dinky little ~700MHz box that is similarly equipped for things like serial port and parallel port work. It was a "rescue" so if it grew legs I wouldn't worry too much (though I'd sorely miss all the cables and adapters that I store in its carrying case!)

And, an ancient "Portable 386" that I use when I need to read/write

5" media. (8" media is considerably harder, but still doable)
Reply to
Don Y

Were they formerly know as Prince?

How genuine do you need?

That's what expresscard socket is, a slot with (electrically) a USB

2.0 and a PCIe conector at the base.

Just google PCIe parallel port IC then cross those results with "expresscard"

(not that that's a guarantee that a real port is good enough, I recetly received a UPS driver that required an ISA bus on the serial port. That was not as bad as the "UPS driver" that coudn't actually communicate with any UPS.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

Le Fri, 20 Sep 2013 23:03:57 +0000, Jasen Betts a écrit:

Thanks, that helped the decision of buying another PC (Dell) with a real parport.

--
Thanks,
Fred.