An early Christmas present...

A bit OT, as this is not one of the usual sophisticated repairs posted here.

SWMBO was not happy as the hand-held rechargeable vacuum cleaner was failing to switch on most of the time. It used a simple slide switch, but the motor worked barely once in a dozen attempts.

I dismantled it to find a simple slide switch - in the back "off" position the 10 NiMH batteries were connected to the charging circuit, and slid forward they were instead connected to the motor. A few squirts of WD40 failed to solve the intermittent operation, so I removed the switch to examine it.

And found my Christmas present! I usually find these Chinese imports are made to the cheapest spec possible, and expected to find a single-pole single toggle switch. But no, this was a /double/ pole single toggle switch, and the other pole was unused. So I just soldered a wire bridge across to the unused pole, and the switch now works perfectly again.

But how long that pole will last is another matter...

--

Jeff
Reply to

On Tuesday, December 23, 2014 10:25:00 AM UTC-5, Jeff Layman wrote: But no, this was a /double/ pole single toggle

At least as long as the original pole did hopefully, but it would have lasted forever if they thought to use both contacts simultaneously when they assembled it.

I've seen crappy stereos use half a switch as well.

Reply to
John-Del

Well, considering that WD-40 is a rust inhibitor it is anyone's guess as to how long this will last.

WD-40 dries up over time and turns to goo. Good luck!

John :-#(#

John's  Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

** Only so because metal objects covered in oil tend not to rust or corrode since atmospheric water and oxygen are largely excluded.

WD-40 is more correctly characterised as a hydrocarbon grease solvent that also lubricates.

** No more than a light mineral oil does.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Well, my experience with equipment that has had WD-40 sprayed on it by loving owners is the picot points etc all gum up and we have to heat them up to take them apart so we can clean out the gummed up goop.

In EVERY case when asked these machines had WD-40 sprayed on the workings.

I have yet to see other games of similar vintage that have not been sprayed with WD-40 gum up anywhere near as bad that we have to heat the parts to separate them. And I've been servicing arcade games for almost

40 years.

Hence my personal vendetta against the use of WD-40 as a lubricant.

It would be better to run some proper tests comparing WD-40 mixed with various oils vs. leaving the oils on their own and drying them out with some heat. I keep thinking I should do this, and perhaps I will soon...

John :-#)#

John's  Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

I meant pivot points...

John :-#(#

John's  Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

It seems that was a test someone is/was running, there was a thread in sed, seb or abse in the last three months. Mikek

Reply to
amdx