EV owners are getting a BIG shock as their vehicles go out of warranty

Tesla owners are finding out that Tesla doesn't repair damaged battery packs - they replace the ENTIRE battery at a cost of up to $22k which is almost the value of the car

One Tesla owner had a $2 part get damaged by road debris and Tesla quoted him $16,000 to replace the entire pack, so he had it towed to a shop THREE STATES AWAY that would fix this cheap part (no local independent shop would touch it):
issue of manufacturers locking out third-party repair shops has motivated members of Congress, state and federal, to promote Right To Repair legislation:
some shops have figured out how to repair these batteries, but they have to resort to hacks:

Flyguy

Not hack, just good repair practices.

Check it often and fix it quickly. If you wait too long, you might have to replace a bank of 64 cells. You don't really want to replace it with new modules, but just the cells with same capacity left. I got hundreds of (S/X)cells between 70% to 90%. I am sure there will be one very close to match.

I can come to fix any Tesla anywhere in the west coast, as long as my Leaf can reach it.

Reply to
Ed Lee

You can check it with TM-spy or equivalence.

Once the battery pack is unmounted and disassembled, all you need is a multimeter and soldering iron to fix it.

Reply to
Ed Lee

Yes, you can junk it and burn $20K.

Remaining capacity is the critical factor. Internal resistance is small and insignificant in most cases. Temperature (related to IR) is not an issue as long as you don't charge it to 100%.

Reply to
Ed Lee

Leaded cells can also be shorted. You also needed to put many in parallel to get the same power as lithium.

OK to buy, just don't pay too much.

Reply to
Ed Lee

The day when manufacturers decided that repair and maintenance should be run as a profit centre, rather than as service to the customer, is some time in the past.

Rapacious manufacturers do get a bit greedy, but it's always easier to replace a complete unit than repair it.

"Right to repair" may be a useful counter-balance. but customers are going to prefer a cheap if dodgy repair to the more expensive process of getting the machine back at an as-manufactured state.

Doesn't sound like a hack to me. Two new modules out of 16 and a $5.000 bill is rather more than a hack. It is a sensible lower price option. but the final result isn't as good as you'd get with a $22.000 replacement, not that anybody would pay $17.000 for the extra value.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

If they replace the pack with two new modules, the pack is still unbalanced with 2 high and 14 low. They should replace with same SOH. Unfortunately, most ebay or individual sellers won't or can't tell you what is the SOH. I guess GM dealers have central location to identify and fix the modules and match them properly.

Reply to
Ed Lee

Who cares? The two new modules won't get fully charged, or at least not as fully charged as the older modules, but the battery will work well enough.

If you want "as new" performance you have to pay for a complete battery replacement.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

Wasn't it out of balance before the replacement? Actually, most likely not. It's like having low compression in your engine. You can replace the rings on the one cylinder which is out of spec, but it's very likely that all the cylinders need to be repaired, or will need to be repaired soon.

Battery cells are not like lightbulbs. They very seldom have individual faulty cells. The overall capacity of the battery drops until the car no longer has adequate range. But inadequate range is not a concept you are able to appreciate.

Most people want to drive their cars, not monkey with them all day.

Reply to
Ricky

Normal cells don't. But manufacturing defects (metal fragment) for a small (~11,000 so far) number of them fail prematurely. If you are lucky, it blows the fuse and is easily identified. Sometimes, it just become heater and dragging the whole bank down with it.

Reply to
Ed Lee

It's called a "hack" because they did it WITHOUT the help of Tesla.

HOW do you check it at all UNLESS you have access to diagnostic equipment?

Well, that won't be very far!

Reply to
Flyguy

And EXACTLY where do you get this software and does using void your Tesla warranty?

Reply to
Flyguy

Here is a video that describes TM-spy and what you will need to make it work:

says nothing, however, about voiding your warranty. It also does not display individual cell voltages, just brick voltages.

Reply to
Flyguy

Bozo uses the pejorative "dodgy" without ANY evidence per his modus operandi.

As I have already mentioned, "hacks" refers to non-Tesla provided diagnostic aides.

Reply to
Flyguy

Sewage Sweeper called it a "hack" because he is an idiot. The original manufacturer's grasping habits don't have any relevance to the legitimacy of a repair.

Sewage Sweeper thinks that the original manufacture is the the only possible source of diagnostic equipment. Their tools may be the easiest to use.

His last link in his original post

shows the third party repairer exploiting some of Telsla's built-in hardware

It doesn't have tor each it in a single step.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

It's not very pejorative. Sewage Sweeper doesn't know anything, so he wants everything to be spelled out for him, and if you are silly enough to do it he rejects the explanation for some spurious reason or other - probably because he can't understand even the simplest explanation.

So you don't know what the word means.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

Oh, Bozo knows EXACTLY what "dodgy" means. If he doesn't he can LOOK IT UP!

dodg·y /ˈdäjē/ adjective INFORMAL•BRITISH dishonest or unreliable. "a dodgy secondhand car salesman"

Yeah, just like "dodgy"

Reply to
Flyguy

I lived in the UK from 1971 to 1993, and I've been back there from time to time since - most recently in May this year. I know exactly what "dodgy" means , and a whole lot more precisely than Sewage Sweper can ever hope to.

That's one way of using the word. Venacular usage puts more emphasis on informality than dishonesty or unreliability, though that is context dependent.

In exactly the same way that you don't know enough about "dodgy".

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

That you don't know how to use the English language comes as no surprise, Bozo.

Reply to
Flyguy

Sewage Sweeper has a habit of getting stuff wrong, then telling us that he's got it right. Nothing new here

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman