Energy savings, do you care?

We do go up into the mountains in winter. Electric cars have problems in the cold too, which is why I don't see Teslas parked at ski areas. A gas car is remarkably good about this sort of thing.

I get a new battery every two years, just in case.

Do people still buy diesel cars?

As far as energy savings go, if I wanted to save the earth, I'd trade my car in for some tiny underpowered toy, or ride public transit. That wouldn't be fun.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

Oh, yeah, I forgot about that peculiar habit of yours. ;)

Yup, especially ones with smart fuel injection. (That is, everything since about 1989.) IIRC SU carburetors are pretty good in cold weather too--they work at constant vacuum rather than a fixed orifice.

My TR7 had SU carbs--in my dotage I might get a TR8 if I can find one, just for fun. Have to subscribe to Hemmings. ;)

The TR7's engine was canted by about 30 degrees so they could get that wedge-shaped hood line. That would have been OK except that in order for the head studs not to intersect the fender when you replaced the head, they were put in 30 degrees off normal. That meant that to get the head off you had to _extract_the_studs_.

When my head gasket blew I managed to get nine of the studs out, but the one right next to the timing chain guide just would not budge. I eventually used a 2x4 and a small sledge hammer to get it off. Bent the chain guide all to hell, but it bent back again OK. My idea of fun, circa 1982. ;)

If everybody rides public transit you get something like the NYC subways, which of course turn out to be wonderful places to spread the Chinese flu.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Hmm. Mine's attached to the side of the furnace, so it never gets damp no matter the weather. (My boiler is well insulated so I don't bother turning it off in the summer.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

which makes sense since it is has ~10% more energy per volume than gasoline

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Premium gas is generally about 30% more expensive, so it's a net lose, not even counting the smell, hard starting, and the infernal noise.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

it's not the 90s any more, if it wasn't for the low rev limit you probably wouldn't notice that you were driving a modern diesel

I still don't want one, but ..

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

They are theoretically impossible. The vacuum force is too low to move the needle. But all that vibration breaks the static friction. It's like a dithered DAC.

Fun?

Oh, a Triumph person? We MG people despised Triumph drivers.

I met my wife in a gay bar that had great burgers. She said that she had a yellow MG Midget that was running bad. We went outside and I fixed it with my Swiss Army knife. It was idling at 3000 RPM, and the idle screw pokes out the top of an SU carb.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

That's because we kept blowing your doors off. ;) (Till the guy in the

455 cu in Trans Am with the dead chicken on the hood showed up.)

A love story that couldn't happen today unless your knife had an OBD-II scanner as well as the tweezers and toothpick. :(

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Run my Chevy Volt on battery power when it gets down to -10F sometimes in New England, it's always come right up with no problem. What "problems" he's speaking of I have no idea.

There is the normal issue of efficiency loss and range reduction that occurs in the cold with any car; in pure gas cars you generally don't notice this because you're throwing away so much energy to begin with. it's what the giant radiator structures and constantly-running high-temperature liquid cooling loop is for, a thermodynamic machine designed to eject 70-90% of the money you spend on fuel out to heat the Universe.

Reply to
bitrex

What you are calling the "pump", is that what we would call a "fan"? I guess I'm more used to the term "fan" or "compressor" for gases and "pump" for liquid.

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricketty C

ing

ather

Larkin gets a thrill from criticizing EVs even though he knows virtually no thing about them. I guess his cell phone doesn't work on the ski slopes ei ther.

Larkin doesn't "see" EVs for the same reason he doesn't "see" global warmin g, he won't open his eyes.

--

  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricketty C

but they do better mpg & you can put various other junk in the fuel tank (in most diesels) eg filtered used oils.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

it.

client, payback of less than 4-5 years is preferable. You need to take Net Present Value into account. If he invested 200k, could he have profit of 2

0% per year? Most companies used an interest of 10%, so your case would the n be more like a payback of 7-8 years

I don't blame them for saying no. So many claimed savings are unrealistic.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Yes, but ... in the US circulation pumps are not popular or sometimes turned off. This has a simple reason and mostly in left-leaning states where electricity and gas are expensive. Having to run out some cold water before it gets warm does waste water but that is often more than an order of magnitude cheaper that the energy used by a recirculating system. Not so much the electricity for the pump but the loss of thermal energy in the water going round and round. In our case it's propane which is prohibitively expensive so we would never consider recirculation.

Nope, not really. IoT is popular in industry where it makes a lot of sense. I designed some stuff in that area. For homes people are largely disappointed. Costs a lot, doesn't do that much, and then one sunny day the cloud goes permanently blank ... poof ... game is over. This is how I got a brand new little NAS for $7.50. Their cloud vanished. Of course, I had to hack it which was part of the fun.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

ey

bearings. IIRC, and I might not, they use water as a lube between ceramic b earing surfaces.

One can often get a stuck circulation pump going again. Undo the central nu t-cover-bleed-point & turn the shaft a bit, then run it briefly with the nu t loose & it grinds any gunk out. Do nut up & it's often happy again.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

He doesn't seem to be very specific as to what the "problems" are.

The only "problem" I have is I spend almost none of my life at the gas station or sitting around in a shop.

Reply to
bitrex

One can see communism in many things if you look; semiotic symbols and signs and portents of the communism may be found in cars, and face masks, and various household objects, coffee machines with disturbing color schemes, fire hydrants, donuts that look like Stalin, oddly-shaped bushes and rocks.

Reply to
bitrex

It's true about fuel efficiency, but I can't visualise anyone running their car with junk fuel except in an emergency. Besides, diesel cars don't age well - at least here in India - and maintenance cost is high.

Reply to
Pimpom

depending on the system.

W, you could buy a more expensive one that consumes 25W for the same pump p erformance? (that would correlate to a electricity savings of maybe 4 USD p er year for a 50% duty ratio)

ss than 4 years?

k (in most diesels) eg filtered used oils.

Never owned one myself. I thought the fuel was essentially self lubricatin g so they held up a lot better, no? The only issue with my dad's diesel ca r was he had to use a heater in the winter so it would start in the morning . I think it was just a dip stick heater, so not a lot of cost, just a bit of bother to take it out.

He did pay extra for the diesel engine when he bought it and when he traded it in they took off for having it. This was around the time of the gas cr unch and they fell out of popularity rather quickly when it was over. Or s omething... it was a long time ago.

I hear they are much better now.

--

  Rick C.

  ++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  ++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Ricketty C

Hi Klaus, I definitely couldn't care less about pump energy consumption but value longevity.

In 2018 my 1982 Grundfos circulation pump failed, not from electrical failure but from a faulty downstream valve air leak cavitation. The electrical components consisted of two windings, one film capacitor, one switch and a terminal block. Lasted 36 years and could probably have lasted another 36. Any excess heat generated by the pump is welcome as it helps heat the water! Compared to energy costs in making the water hot in the boiler the energy cost in the pump is trivial.

Finding a like-for-like new replacement was impossible, all new models are packed full of damnable electronics and reviews implied even ten year lifetime was highly unlikely. Having an hf-switching high voltage motor inverter built from cheapest available parts in the smallest possible space continually exposed to 55-60degC temps is exceptionally demanding and I really can't see the point when a century+ old reliable ac motor solution already exists.

Given the purchase prices and high to very high labor costs of fitting the replacements the total cost of ownership is probably higher from the supposed energy saving pumps than simpler more long lasting pumps.

If there is a place for IOT then it might belong at the system level, maybe useful in industrial use but can't see the need in domestic settings.

piglet

Reply to
piglet