Employability of Computer Programmers in the US

No need to fault yourself for that-- in fact, German is increasing in popularity as a 2nd language in India (or 3rd, or 4th language-- this is India after all :) ) throughout the country. Germany has many local cultural institutes that Indians take courses in, and more and more Indians take university courses in and/or immigrate to Germany and Austria. Plus Germany is also outsourcing some work to India. So I'm sure German will be a fine choice as well. If I had a hunch, I'd guess that the 10 most useful second languages over the next century will be Chinese, Spanish, Hindi, Arabic, English, German, French, Portuguese, Japanese and Russian.

I suspect that most people would come up with almost the same list, except they'd leave off Hindi, which is because of the confusion about English in India (which is not widespread) and the relative lack of knowledge about Hindi. But it's an extremely important widely spoken language, over half a billion worldwide, and has increasing literary and technological cachet. Plus it's quite a beautiful, rich, diverse and musical language, with many contributions not only from Sanskrit (source of Hindi) but also Tamil, Farsi, Turkish, Arabic as well as of course English, Portuguese and French. (BTW Marathi was my first language but like many other non-native Indian speakers I've picked up Hindi later.) It's also not that tough to learn from an English background with many similarities, though Devanagari writing can be tough to learn at first. It's a good choice for a foreign tongue and will be ever more useful over the next decade, so don't hesitate if you want to start learning it. Shubh kamnaye! (Good luck!) Few things will earn the appreciation of Indians more than Westerners who make the effort to speak our indigenous languages-- you may find quite a few grateful customers in India if you do!

Vijay

Reply to
The Avatar

Troll or idiot...you decide.

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools

Troll or idiot....you decide which...I think you are both.

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools

Bradley1234,

You are either a troll or an idiot, in my opinion likely both.

You are NOT a programmer with any level of competence.

Rich,

And they _really_ hate it when an $8.00/hour temp steps in and shows up

a staff of three ~$100K programmers

It would never happen.

Experience overcomes youthful arrogance everytime.

I hope you can cook hamburgers...with that attitude, you will be doing it for a long time to come.

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools

Pity that Sanskrit never got the revival it deserves.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org