electron brainsprain

Huh, you must make much more than me. :^) Anyway I have no debt, I could probably buy another house if I had to. (But housing is cheap around here... ~$100-150k) I've got two kids going to college soon.. which looks to be about like buying a house (or two)... state schools, or lotsa help.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Not the usual expenses. A vacation ($2K), appliances for the kitchen ($7K), and some tools ($2K), tires for my truck ($1K), plus all the normal expenses.

I have very little. I could pay it all, including the mortgage with what I have in a savings account. No reason to, though.

You can buy houses for that, here, too. They're smallish (2000ft^2) and you have to live within an arm's length of your neighbor but they're available. Mine's worth something like $350K. I paid $200K, five years ago (which is why I took the risk of owning two houses).

Long past that. One idea I saw that looked really interesting was to buy the kid(s) a condo near campus, then sell it when they graduate. It usually turns into cheap room. It's worth a thought.

Reply to
krw

Right same here, though I see reports that the housing market is "heating up" here. (Buffalo, NY) Mine's worth something like $350K. I paid $200K,

Re: Condo purchase, Yeah I had some "well to do" friends whose father did that for them. But for me I can send them to school, or buy a condo.. not both :^)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

...but you have to live in NY. ;-) BTDT.

Understood but the point was that it was cheaper in the long run. But, yeah, it's the short run that'll get ya.

Reply to
krw

here school is free and when at university or similar the state will pay you ~$900/month for studying

So it not uncommon for parents to buy a condo and rent it out to their kid (possible giving the rent money back as a gift), while taking either taking advantage of the tax breaks you get for renting out or not having to pay tax on the possible profit from selling it later

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Trump has never filed for personal bankruptcy. He has filed Chapter

11 on several businesses, which is financial restructuring, not closing a business.

Multiple sources state that he is worth at least three billion dollars. What are you worth?

--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You're right about that. So if he became president, he could preserve himself while (as independent analyses have shown) he would greatly increase the national debt - far more than Hillary (hey, I'm not wild about her, but in this respect he is clearly worse).

No where near his purported wealth. Of course, since he has flouted the standard candidate practice of making his tax returns public, we can't really know for sure. {That line about being audited preventing release of returns is the usual Trumpian lie}

Reply to
Frank Miles

I suspect his _personal_ worth is rather mundane... the "wealth" is in Trump, Inc. ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

He has. So suck it up, snowflake.

--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Well, we now know for certain who's really out-of-touch-with-reality, it's the Democrats. They still can't bring themselves to understand why they lost.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Alien8752

Yep. They're so-o-o-o superior >:-} ...Jim Thompson

                             DEMOCRAT

The Party of Sexual Deviants, COP Haters, College Students with
Phenomenal Ignorance, and Unions Covering for Bad Teachers

You live there. You are going to have to live with consequences, which probably aren't going to include more generous benefits for veterans.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

They understand well enough. Trump made promises to the rust-belt unemployed which he'll never be able to deliver, but the rust-belt unemployed weren't sufficiently well-informed to realise this.

US education is remarkably variable, and if you grew up in a low-income school district, nobody will have spent much time on teaching you critical thinking.

Quite a few of the people who post here, who have been through tertiary education, don't seem to have mastered it either.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

e:

of

apter

sing

it's the Democrats. They still can't bring themselves to understand why the y lost.

Jim-out-of-touch-with-reality-Thompson hasn't bother to read any Democratic analysis of why they lost. They lost four rust-belt states, where Trump's lies about making America grate again, and reviving American manufacturing, fell on particularly gullible ears.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

How many here started with a few millions of dollars? I know my net worth has increased from a few hundred when I got out of school (and a motorcycle) to some million.

--

Rick C
Reply to

You do realize the only reason Trump won is because of the mechanism of the electoral college, right? Just like Gore in 2000, Hillary got a majority of the popular vote. So it's not like Trump has been given a mandate or even represents a majority of the voters.

--

Rick C
Reply to

ote:

of

apter

sing

it's the Democrats. They still can't bring themselves to understand why th ey lost.

As Fred Bloggs has pointed out, one of the reasons that the electoral colle ge exists is to prevent the more populous states imposing their preferred p resident on the less populous states. It's not a feature that any subsequen t constitution has copied, but that's what you have got.

Trump won the rust-belt states because he promised them jobs via a revival of defunct industries, on the lunatic basis that it was free trade, rather than technological progress, which had put the unemployed out of work.

A better informed electorate wouldn't have been fooled, but the US has been penny-pinching on elementary education for altogether too long.

The electoral college should reject Trump as a lying demagogue, but this is unlikely to happen. When America doesn't become great again, the reaction against Trump and the Republicans may be unpleasant, but it will take a whi le to develop. People really don't like being lied to, even by politicians.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

And that's something else that's COMPLETELY unprecedented*, right?

  • Liberal buzzword of the decade

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Alien8752