before mythbusters

There used to be a show on channel 2 that was very interesting. I am trying to remember the name of it.

It had two british guys that used to play around with various gadgets. I recall on one of the shows they explained how fuel injectors work. They rigged up a few injectors to squirt petrol straight into a candle, one by one.

On another episode, they took apart a VCR and showed the audience how it works.

It was a light hearted show. Similar in a sense to Mythbusters. I think it may have been a BBC production. Not sure. Does anyone know the name of it?

Reply to
Phil in Melbourne

I don't think I'm thinking of the same one......there was one ~10 yrs ago, title may have been "Great Ideas" (no, not the crappy show on commercial TV in the last year or five).

One episode was on "how TV works" - show ended with a shot of a big pile of tellies on fire and another one was the history & development of carpet sweepers / vacuum cleaners. Theme music for the show was "Take 5" -

The only other show I can recall where similar things were done was "The Goodies" but I'm pretty sure thats not the show you recall............................

Reply to
Scruffy

Maybe you are thinking about the seceret life of machines and they had another one about bussiness machines and the like.

The main guy was very low key and was a bit of a cartoonist and added a few simple animations into the programe. There was an assistant who did not say much and was a stunt driver and in one show rolled a car.

A very good show with no hype, just pulling stuff to bits and describing how it worked but entertaining just the same.

I was on SBS not the ABC. Did tape some shows will try to dig them out. Had funny open and close music with animitations.

Cheers Dave

vk3ase

The main guy's name is Tim Hunkin - his website's at

and worth a look. :-)

His off-sider is Rex Garrod, website at

but it hasn't been updated for 5 years.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

Thanks guys, yes it was the Secret life of Machines.

I had to find out. It was just killing me... Wish I could find some tapes of it somewhere. Was a very entertaining show.

Reply to
Phil in Melbourne

Same here! I just found out that tapes and downloads from the series are available. :-)) This page on Tim's website tells you where:

Cheers Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

Here you go, about 11:30 in...

I've never seen this show before but it looks fascinating!

Reply to
rowan194

I watched the Quartz Watch one, great stuff!

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Especially the very last part! :-)

I've been downloading all of them... just got a warning from my ISP that I'm about to exceed my monthly download limit. :-)

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

I have just finished downloading all of them too. My download limit is not looking too good either....Worth it tho...

Now don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Mythbusters, and perhaps I should not even be comparing the two, as they are designed for two very different audiences, but I absolutely love the frank and "no frills" nature of the secret life of machines. There is something wholesome about the program. I am in contact with some science teachers. I will recommend they show the films in class.

Reply to
Phil

I would compare it more to the Curiosity Show than Mythbusters. Those who were bought up in the 70's and 80's should know what I'm talking about.

The great thing about Mythbusters, apart from the excellent characters of course, is that they *don't* know what they are doing, and hence aren't really trying to teach you anything, they just entertain by blowing things up and building cool stuff. No wonder us electronics types have lapped it up, it's backyard engineering at it's best.

Perhaps the Bomarc guys

can put a cable show together! :->

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Another great show was Coltrane's Planes and Automobiles where Robbie Coltrane explained things like V8's, Steam, Afterburneres, Superchargers, etc.

Great entertainment.

- Rob.

A similar series was "THE ACME SCHOOL OF STUFF" Does anyone know where this series can be downloaded?

Reply to
Aldo