Electrical fire in MH370 cockpit?, or, Can one argue with a pilot?

According to this:

- MH370 had 440 pounds of lithium batteries aboard the Boeing 777 that disappeared March 8, 2014...

gggg gggg

<snip>

That does seem to be Clive Irving's explanation. He's a journalist, not an aviation expert. A consignment of lithium batteries is unlikely to be shipped fully charged, and new batteries are very unlikely to go into thermal runaway. Again, there's no reason to take him seriously.

You can believe any lunatic theory you like, but give up on boosting it here. As I've already pointed out, it make you look foolish, and there's no real point in touting in a forum that is aimed a people interested in electronic design. We've all exploited rechargable batteries from time to time, but nobody has reported ever managing to set one on fire.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

some aircrafts use lithium-ion batteries,

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I'm not so sure about your second point. I was told by somebody with first hand knowledge of the matter that early failures do happen and that manufacturers used to quarantine batteries for a few days before shipping them. Now, they tend to ship as soon as possible which means that failures in transit may be more likely. John

Reply to
John Walliker

It more likely means that they check them for self-heating as they come off the production line and sling out any potential early failures rapidly.

Paying for quarantine space is expensive, and would justify spending money on test gear that could get the result faster.

Better production techniques might have just eliminated the problem. Producing better batteries faster does involve understanding what you are doing in more detail - one of my undergraduate friends has a granddaughter who is about to marry a guy who has just got a Ph.D. in lithium battery chemistry. The field has moved on a lot in recent years.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

The danger of fires hasn't been extinguished:

gggg gggg

(2023 Youtube upload):

"Covered Up! - China's Electric Car Safety - You're Being Sold a Lie!"

Reply to
gggg gggg

And gggg gggg is the guy selling it.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

gggg gggg

Probably not. Gggg gggg doesn't seem to have registered the full extent of my contempt.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

gggg gggg

And you think I care? About some sook who feels hurt because his silly ideas are not being taken seriously? You are as hopeless as John Larkin, and just as thin-skinned.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

gggg gggg

Sewage Sweeper does like to think that the is pointing out mistakes, but he is an ignorant idiot with an exaggerated idea of his own expertise, and a remarkable capacity to misunderstand he simplest and most obvious of statements - you only have to look at the "evidence" that he occasionally links to with the deluded impression that they support his misconceptions.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman