Small display (e.g. 7" or so) for use with Pi - where can one buy?

I'm after a small screen to use with a Raspberry Pi, 7" or a bit less
would suit. Is it possible to buy such a thing at a reasonable price?
--
Chris Green
Reply to

Reply to
Andy Burns
I'm thinking I may go with an LCD character display instead.
--
Chris Green
Reply to

Is composite usable at all, apart from larger scale gfx? Memories of 1980's computing in 40 columns: OK, but 80 columns: eyeburn!
Mike Brown: mjb[-at-]signal11.org.uk  |    http://www.signal11.org.uk
Reply to
Mike
It all depends on bandwidth.
If the Pi composite output is not bandwidth limited in the luminance signal, and the composite monitor has 10+ MHz bandwidth in its luminance channel, then 80 columns will be quite usable (though perhaps not "crisp").
If either the Pi or the monitor limits the bandwidth to the broadcast standard, then 80 column text will be unusable.
--
-michael - NadaNet 3.1 and AppleCrate II: http://home.comcast.net/~mjmahon
Reply to
-michael - NadaNet 3.1 and AppleCrate II: http://home.comcast.net/~mjmahon
Reply to
Michael J. Mahon
My radio shack computer uses a 7-inch tv with both composite and vga inputs. Runs off 12V too. They were selling them off cheap when tv went digital only. Quality is ok on vga, not tried composite.
--
Stan Barr     plan.b@dsl.pipex.com
Reply to

is a crappy phone camera photo of a Pi connected to a ~30 year old monochrome monitor in 640x480 resolution. It looked much better than that in the flesh, as it were...
Gordon
Reply to
Gordon Henderson
If you're happy using the composite output, keep an eye out for second hand portable DVD players. A lot of models have a composite input jack, and I regularly see them at car boot sales for about a fiver.
They can be had on ebay for less than that, but by the time you add in shipping they generally work out about that sort of ballpark.
moment, if one is near you it could be a bargain.
-Paul
--
http://paulseward.com
Reply to

Alan
--
alan.dawes@argonet.co.uk
alan.dawes@riscos.org

%Profound_observation%
Reply to
Graham.
On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 12:02:42 +0000, Graham. declaimed the following:
Technically, that was an optional accessory... Not standard issue.
Reply to
Dennis Lee Bieber
What are you precise requirements? If the alternative is a character display I'm guessing not much. If a small CRT is acceptable you have a couple of options - small black & white TVs used to be quite
or so but now you're looking at ebay or similar following digital switchover. Some have composite inputs but admittedly not the majority, so it's something to check up on first. CCTV security monitors were a similar size and a composite input is pretty much a given, but you might find one difficult to track down at the right price.
A slightly better option albeit with more hassle would be one of the small mono monitors used for EPOS systems - they're typically 8 or 9 inches, good for at least 640x480 if not 800x600. They'll give you a better picture but need a VGA input so that's a layer of conversion to go through. Whenever I've seen them come up used
around and bide your time they may be an option worth considering.
--
Andrew Smallshaw
andrews@sdf.lonestar.org
[...]
Define reasonable.
Stuart Winsor
Reply to
Stuart
Taking a quick glance at ebay shops I would say less than that site is selling them for. Those horrible 7" TFT reversing camera/CCTV monitors are more like 25 to 30 pounds.
Or if you look for portable analogue tellies they will have a mains power supply etc (and might be even cheaper because people want rid of them now they are useless for their original purpose)
Reply to
Guesser