Electolytics in signal path??

Am 14.08.19 um 02:42 schrieb John Miles, KE5FX:

I'll keep my W&G SNA-33. 20Hz to 26.5 GHz with 1 Hz filter BW. And a fundamental mixer. Not those noise steps from range to range like these old HPs when they switch to the next harmonic.

:-) Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

Your great uncle Cursitor Bradford Beauregard Doom the 3rd prolly worked on it already that's why there's a 2.2 uF electrolytic where it shouldn't be and it still don't work.

Reply to
bitrex

Cursitor Doom wrote in news:qiva62$ks$3@dont- email.me:

Yeah... We call that troubleshooting.

Sometimes it is a large, expensive component. :-)

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Cursitor Doom wrote in news:qivhd4$ks$5@dont- email.me:

I am sure the boys at ViaSat have figured out just about all there is to know about SDR root hardware. Our mil boys enjoy about ten different SDR generated (and received) waveforms. Haven't seen many complaints.

Link16 has been around for a long time. So have many of the others.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Sounds like an extremely nice box, but also very obscure, at least over here. I wonder why they weren't more popular. Any obvious drawbacks? Can you get schematics?

-- john, KE5FX

Reply to
John Miles, KE5FX

Yeah, being very obscure! :-D

Cursitor Doom

It has some 56001 and a yig preselector and yes, it runs DOS 5 on its embedded AM386.

<

The drawback was the price.

cheers, Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

My old HP 70000 analyzer was like that too, including the 1-Hz IF bandwidth, but then it was a 15+ year newer design. The 8566 series is now 40 years old. When was your W&G unit introduced?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs