eInk Low Power Displays

I am interested in the eInk displays and was looking for one to play with. The ones they have available are not so cheap except for a few at Digikey using segments. The segmented displays is what I would like, but these don't really do the right job. So I did a search and found there are a number of Asian vendors selling eInk displays for Kindle and other ebook readers. However, when I found a data sheet for one, the ED060SC4, and it has rather high power consumption specs, up to 1.1 Watts! I thought these things were very low power. Are they only low power when you aren't changing the display? The data sheet still lists

0.4 mW in standby mode... I don't consider that very low power.

One of the info sheets from eInk says their devices use 12 uW/cm^2 during an image update. Another sheet says it is 0.5 uA/cm^2. At the full performance 15 volts, 0.5 uA is only 6 uW, so I'm not clear about why the two values don't match up better. Still, this is WAY below the numbers they are giving for the Kindle display module.

I guess I'll stick with LCD displays, but they aren't really very viewable except in the right lighting. I've got a thermometer that I have to turn on the room light to be able to see.

Rick

Reply to
rickman