Fujitsu demo: bendy low or no power color displays

Some analysts claim these new Fujitsu displays use RGB laser diodes, but if so, how is it that they retain their image with no power? Link, photos:

Emmet Robinson

Who the hell are "some analysts"?

E-paper has been around in various forms for at least 10 years. It's passive reflective, doesn't emit light, just like regular paper.

John

Do you think it is the "frog eggs" technology in color? I thought that was a Xerox patent.

Reply to
Aubrey McIntosh, Ph.D.

Never heard of that. Some company, maybe E-Paper, had a technology that involved using electric fields to move ink particles around inside tiny plastic capsules. Low contrast, slow, b&w only, as I recall.

Who needs a flexible display? Sounds niche-y to me.

John

So, roll-up, limited-life oled or e-paper screens could become the next inkjet refill: the tv's are almost free, but you have to buy a new screen every 3 month for $99.95. Sounds like a winner.

John

If it was free (in performance and features as well as cost), lots of people would want them. Palm's number one warranty issue is broken displays. E-books would be nice if you could throw them around like real books (maybe someday they'll be better than real books- light,

300dpi+, full reflective color, waterproof and float so you can take them to the beach or read them in the bath).

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

And our friend Nina is taking e.r. from HP. Full year's salary plus the retirement stuff. She says she hasn't actually had any real work to do in the last few years.

John

Now there's a $1bn idea. A few subtle mods and technology is pretty much here today. What's Carleton (Carly) Sneed Fiorina doing these days? Wolfie snatched her World Bank gig.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Frog Eggs: See Figure 2 at

Also, the detail has been stripped and PRed, but see

Reply to
Aubrey McIntosh, Ph.D.

Apart from trashing the company you mean ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

She's not trashing it, she's retiring. Carly trashed HP.

John

Beer cans with changing sports trivia??? That would keep me amused for a very long time...

Reply to
The Real Andy