economics: Germany

535D touring Diesel, 200 KW, electronically limited to 250 Km/h like most of the stronger series cars here. I've checked it to 255 indicated ground speed, didn't dare to go on to try the limiter (w/o the 19" rack). Someone else was faster. That was on an empty highway between Kempten & Ulm. If you do not kick the beast, the 535D has moderate drinking habits. The opportunities to kick it that hard are few.

That must have been some 20 years ago. BMW pump out a new engine generation every 18 months, it looks like Moore's law for some time, less consumption and more power every time.

Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

That was almost exactly the stretch I did, but Cologne to Ulm. I usually didn't leave until the Bundesliga soccer games popped up on TV, meaning almost everyone either sat in a stadium or in front of a TV instead of on the autobahn.

With my car here it's different. It behaves like an aircraft, you go this many miles and it always consumes x gallons. With California gasoline it gets 25mpg (or about 9l/100km), with gas from Nevada or Oregon it is about 10% better. But it doesn't matter much how fast I go.

The model year was more than 20 years ago but so was my Audi which drank less gasoline. A lot less. My neighbor who has the car now couldn't believe it until he filled it up for the first time and saw that the liters that went in matched what I told him it would be. Some companies didn't need umpteen design iterations to get there :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.