economics: Germany

33.4 hours * (140M / 310M) =3D 15.1 hours

Good guess Mr. Larkin.

James

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Dang, low by seven tenths of a per cent. I must be getting sloppy.

John

Try Trashmail or Spamavert.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

"What's the difference between a mechanical engineer and a civil engineer?"

"Mechanical engineers build weapons, and civil engineers build targets."

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058
hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Certainly. Only an Obamaniac would believe otherwise.

Absolute nonsense! The stock market is where people buy and sell (public) companies. If there was no such market there would *be* no IPOs. No one would buy if they had no place to sell. Bonds, ditto.

Any other colors of herring you want to stink the place up with.

Someone had to make things, and someone will have to make things, too. Meanwhile, those who have support those who are and those who will. Your view of economics is quite Slowmanesque.

But you're not making any electricity today. You're a freeloader on those who are.

Reply to
krw

Back in the dim past, there used to be a thing called "dividends" which returned some of a company's earnings to its shareholders. Most investment is now done for capital appreciation, which works for companies just like it does for Beanie Babies and Kincaid "art" and condos in Miami: the Greater Fool theory.

Most of the jobs in this country are created by privately held businesses.

No, I'm exchanging something that I built for something that they make. Each of us adds value to raw materials. Both of us make more than we consume. Students, retirees, people on unemployment, lots of people consume more than they make. The ratio of producers to non-producers matters.

A lot of consumption in the USA is Chinese manufactured stuff, Japanese and German and Korean cars, and Saudi oil. We pay for it with dollars, and they use the dollars to buy US government bonds, so we get the appliances and cell phones and oil for free, for now, on credit. Our domestic manufacturing capacity of course evaporates. Sooner or later this process will crash.

John

produce.

Goal post movement noted.

There still is such a thing. Do you not remember Obama attempting to take said dividends from BP stock holders. Some companies advertise themselves as "growth" companies, the idea being that they "reinvest" their dividends. Sometimes it works, but the prospectus is there for all to read before buying. Don't like the way the company is run? ...put your money elsewhere. Choice is a great thing. Apparently you're with the Demonicrats, believing that one should be told how to "invest in America".

Which color herring was that?

So are the retired and the soccer moms. They're trading stored or earned wealth for the same things you are.

More goal post movement noted. ...and you want to make it worse by shutting off the supply of money. You can't have it both ways.

Reply to
krw

ume

do produce.

hings.

lic)

o one

ble, so

our view

up!

hose who

What about Warren Buffet who made 50 billion investing in the market. What did he produce other than advice on how to make money?

The Chinese need our markets so they can keep their economy going. What are they going to sell if we quite buying their stuff?

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Bowden

4 X 4 = IQ for some of those people. I swear, they must be forced to get a lobotomy before they can drive those things. They seem to be bent on destroying nature with empty beer cans and quarter mile long burn-outs through the bird nesting areas.

They're the Archies of the automotive world.

mike

Reply to
m II

The question is rapidly becoming "*Why* are they going to sell if we keep paying with increasingly worthless pieces of paper?".

If they demanded payment in full, what would our too cheaply bought politicians do?

As one example, I'm betting that Taiwan will be handed over to the mainland, in part payment. Tibet's already been sacrificed.

mike

Reply to
m II

I love the names of these vehicles: Sierra, Tundra, Outback, Tahoe, Sequoia, Yukon, all the places they are designed to destroy.

Blazer, n: forest clear-cutting device

Xterra, v: latin for "destroy the earth"

John

Good question. The sons and nephews of the Politburo are running gigabuck industries with nearly slave labor, and their daddies are holding down the price of the yaun, so they can ship us cheap stuff. They collect the dollars and buy US government credit obligations.

Print money and pay them? Actually, I don't think you can "demand" payment on a t-bill.

This whole process is going to crash big-time. And everybody - the press, the politicians, the economists - will be shocked, shocked. Just like the the S&L fiasco, the dot.com mess, and the real estate bust snuck up on them unawares. Idiots.

John

I noticed a pattern in the formerly communist European states. Once these sons and nephews of the Politburo are safely ensconced in monopolistic businesses, with a guaranteed, bloated income forever, the system that put them there is declared obsolete. They make more money than ever.

All the same people still run everything, but now, the peasants can at least vote for the dog catchers. Very much like here.

mike

Reply to
m II

This, sadly enough, is only theoretically true, because here in Germany we don't have much left to manufacture. This parts of the industry have been shifted to China, Rumania,... in the last years. So it is basically the same situation here.

Greets from Germany

Reply to
German

Germany still has a trade balance surplus. Do you think that will go away?

Keep making cars, anyhow. German cars are great.. even the ones made in Mexico.

How do Germans, in general, feel about bailing out the southern countries?

John

or "quite fast".

or "out of this world"

Reply to
krw

How do you figure that Tibet has been sacrificed? I don't remember owning it. Are you suggesting that we should go to war to "liberate" Tibet?

Reply to
krw

"Burns vigorously."

or "made out of dirt"

John

I'm not familiar with the figures. The media report, that the situation is improving at the moment. But I personally don't have a good feeling for the future.

I hope we will and thanks in the name of all that are involved in their production.

Many are not happy about it because we keep being told by the government all the time, that the state budget is deep in debt and that we have to accept savings in all areas (also in the social security system, which is especially unpopular), futhermore billions have been pumped into the banking system (to the here so-called "Notleidende Banken" [needy banks]) shortly before, which will probably never flow back. That was all in the news in the last six months or so and then the people heard that additional billions will be spent for the rescue package. So you can imagine that it caused a lot of controversy. After the decision in favor of the rescue package it got very quiet. But this could be due to the FIFA world cup, though this should be over now since our team has had it's last match an hour ago (btw we won, the bronze medal).

I hope my english isn't too bad. I usually only read english texts and seldom write or have the opportunity to speak. So I'm a bit out of practice.

A German

Reply to
German

th