ECL logic SPICE models

Gentlemen,

Does anyone know of a source for SPICE models of ECL gates? Unfortunately ON Semi only supplies IBIS models :-(

I know, I know, much of this will fall under trade secrets or NDAs and can't be shared. Just wondering why some companies seem reluctant to share this stuff. Makes no sense since providing models can only boost sales. No, not the models some of you might think about ... :-)

Alternatively, is there a recipe about how to boil one out of an IBIS model file?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

IBIS models only model the package.

I have the Spice models... I designed much of it... I can't share it ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Hi Jeorge, Unfortunately, while PSpice has ECL models, they use the PSpice digital simulation models that were propriietary to PSpice...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

Dang, I thought so :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

I have a really old license of PSpice but AFAIK those weren't very suitable when you wanted to "mis-use" the stuff for analog tricks.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

What is it you're trying to model?

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Mostly linear behavior and change of prop delays with chip temperature. But it's nothing for a project (yet), just kicking the tires. The newer

8GHz stuff looks very enticing but when I saw the prices I almost dropped my coffee cup.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

Heck, the Onsemi GigaComm stuff is only about $35 a gate. Hittite wants $200.

John

John Larkin a écrit :

DTL? (Dollar Transfer Logic)

--
Thanks,
Fred.

and

oost

BIS

.

I got a laugh out of that one.

Reply to
gearhead

The Hittite stuff has zero propagation delay, because nobody is buying it.

John

Only? ... :-)

Problem is, with many of my designs the whole solution including burden (assembly, additional rigging costs, etc.) has to be lower than that.

Made and sold for one defense project and nobody else is buying?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

Joerg, What sort of analog uses are you contemplating? E-mail me privately, I may know the very trick you're trying to use. I've been around ECL/PECL/CML a lot, having joined the Motorola crew... Narud, Capon Phillips, Sealbach... just when that work first began (1962).

I've also done a lot of design work for Arizona Microtek...

If you'd like an intro there, let me know. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

The only way you're going to get a heap of 5 GHz logic for $10 is to spin a custom IC and make tens of millions of them. $35 for a gate or a flipflop is OK if you're building a $5000 piece of test equipment.

8-port gigabit ethernet switches are in the $60 retail range now, and will surely be a lot cheaper soon. That's an amazing heap of fast logic. A single 10 MBPS ethernet interface used to cost as much as a nice new car.

John

Ok, large scale integrated stuff is a different game. But when $30 are charged for a single inverter I'll do it with a few BFP620 transistors. ft around 65GHz, SOT23, about 50 cents in qties :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

I haven't had much luck doing picosecond-speed time-domain stuff with discrete bipolars. A 65 GHz SiGe transistor has a beta of 10 at 6 GHz, dropping at higher currents, and turns out to be a pretty pokey switch in real life. Package parasitics tend to make it an oscillator if you try to really use the speed potential. The narrowband RF boys can tune the parasitics out, but wideband is different.

I have had good luck using discrete phemts as switches, but they're more like $1 or so.

If you can tolerate 1-2 ns prop delays and 600 ps edges, some of the cmos TinyLogic parts are great, and in your price range.

John

[snip]

For sure. Support designs by yours truly ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

On a sunny day (Fri, 11 Sep 2009 09:24:50 -0700) it happened Jim Thompson wrote in :

Although it is rather sad that so many people died, it is obvious that, as it says in the bible: 'So you sow so you will reap.' Because of all the innocent civilians murdered by the US since WW2, it is not strange somebody hit back. Apart from conspiracy theories, of course Bush knew about it, your repugable party needed an event like that to take away more freedom for suckers like you, and increase arms and related sales, and most of all kill a million more in Iraq, a country that had actually nothing to do with 9/11. Just that Saddam want the oil profits for his own people.

It seems to me, large parts of the US population are severely paranoid, were that already for their own people, and now have suffered psychological damage on top of that by the 9/11 events... To the point where a plane (was it airforce 1) flying about above NY, caused panic. Is it a sickness? Or just a typical US neural net configuration? Did you ever think how Iraqi mothers an children feel? Afghanistan?

****

You are nuts, he who cannot forget is living in the past and will never see the light.

Oh come on, you will be bought by China, your standard of living will drop to the same level as theirs before your country can become competitive again, well probably it will fall apart.

He has good intentions, but with people so hopelessly psychotic, will it work?

Just posted this as I am sick of your one sided world view and cliche shouting. Just a bit for on the other side of the balance.

Agh, probably back on the terrorist list for me LOL. Well the US is gonna charge 10$ for everybody to enter the country. Maybe I should charge 100$ for every American who wants to visit my place. Jimmy Jimmy where will it go?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

and

boost

So far bipolars have been good to me, starting with the old BFS17 in the

80's. To this day I always keep a vial full of those on hand. Then faster and faster ones showed up. Only problem is that most are from large European companies and their sales channels are often, ahem, let's say sub-par.

Take a look at some broadband stuff such as CATV amps. Many are done with discrete BJT, most likely for cost and 2nd-sourcing reasons. But yes, parasitics can get you and the layout is not at all trivial.

That I still have to try.

That's sometimes an order of magnitude too slow :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

Cheap compared to high temperature, let alone space stuff.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany