ECC memory module modification?

Wrong, of course.

Reply to
krw

One more bit is needed for each power-of-two increase in word width. Note that the probability of multi-bit (undetectable/correctable) errors goes up as well.

Reply to
krw

I pointed to the Wikipedia page, which has a table of the most common bit widths and their detect/correct power. No-one seemed to notice that either.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

I did, and I should have thanked you for that, but what I didn't understand was why the scheme I described didn't work.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Wrong, of course.

The ECC bits have to be included in the parity which subtracts from the power of two, along with the total number of bits covered being 2^n - 1.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit